Members of the 2004-05 Hope College cheerleading squad enjoyed unprecedented success at the Universal Cheerleading Association's (UCA) Collegiate Cheerleading Summer Camp held at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee earlier this month.
In Hope's ten year history of attending this camp, which is the largest in the country, the best the Hope cheerleaders had done in camp competitions was a second and a third in two of the three competitions during the week.
This year, competing in the Small Coed Division, Hope placed in all three competitions, earning first place trophies in the Fight Song and Sideline Competitions, and a second place trophy in the Cheer Competition.
In addition to this impressive showing in the competitions, the Hope cheerleaders received the Leadership Trophy in their division, which is voted on by the other squads in that division for the squad who made everyone's camp experience more enjoyable.
Hope also received the most prestigious award at camp -- Most Collegiate Squad. This trophy is voted on by the staff and awarded to the squad in each division that best exemplifies all the characteristics of a national caliber collegiate program.
Only seven of the 14 Hope students who attended camp had any prior collegiate cheerleading camp experience, according to coach Wes Wooley.
- Kelly Bauer, senior from Traverse City (Traverse City West HS)
- Katie DeYoung, senior from Portage (Portage Northern HS)
- Vikki Graudins, freshman from Kalamazoo (Loy Norrix HS)
- Rose Hawk, sophomore from Holton (Holton HS)
- Will Huisman, sophomore from Hudsonville (Hudsonville HS)
- Tony Kreucher, junior from Detroit (Detroit Catholic Central HS)
- Emily Mills, freshman from Marshall (Marshall HS)
- Carmen Nee, senior from Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo Christian HS)
- Amanda Scheeringa, freshman from Schererville, Ind. (Illiana Christian HS)
- Kelly Steeves, senior from Clarendon Hills, Ill. (Hinsdale Central HS)
- Sarah Stowell, senior from Lake Odessa (Lakewood HS)
- Rachel Streelman, junior from Jenison (Unity Christian HS)
- Aaron Thomson, senior from Sandusky (Sandusky HS)
- Rosa Viñas, sophomore from Grand Rapids (East Grand Rapids HS)