· The Flying Dutchmen launch their 87th season of MIAA conference play on Saturday, Sept. 29, playing the Adrian Bulldogs for the 71st time in a rivalry that started in 1938. This marks the 115th year of football for America’s oldest collegiate conference. Hope holds a 48-21-1 advantage in the all-time series, including a 24-21 overtime victory in 2011.
· The Flying Dutchmen will be seeking to snap a three-game losing streak. Adrian, which did not play last Saturday, stands 2-1.
· Junior tailback Shawn Jackson (Comstock Park/Comstock Park HS) is closing in on a career milestone. His career rushing total is 1,681 yards. The tenth best career total is 1,715 yards by Bill Blacquiere from 1974-77. The all-time career leader is Brandon Graham who rushed for 4,362 yards from 1955-77. Over his career Shawn has rushed for over 100 yards in nine games, including two this season.
· Stat Watch: Junior quarterback Michael Atwell (Geneseo, Ill/Geneseo HS) tops the MIAA in passing, averaging 238 yards per game. He has completed 55% of this passes (88/160), been intercepted six times and thrown eight for touchdowns…Freshman punter Dean DeVries (Grand Rapids/Grandville HS) leads the MIAA with an average of 40.9 yards per punt.
· The Flying Dutchmen defense had 14 tackles for lost yardage against Illinois Wesleyan. Sophomore linebacker Christian Lindemulder (Mulliken/Lakewood HS) led the way with four tackles for lost yardage, a quarterback sack and a fumble recovery. Junior linebacker Tim Klaus (Saugatuckl/Saugatuck HS) followed with 3.5 tackles for lost yardage. Klaus leads Hope in total tackles through four games with 40 while Lindemulder and junior safety Santino DiCesare (Dorr/Wayland HS) each have 36.
· After Saturday, the Flying Dutchmen will play back-to-back home games, first on October 6 against Olivet and then then October 13 Homecoming game with Alma.