Recent Accomplishments by our Alums
- Amelia Stanley '14 has been awarded a Gradute Fellowship at Indiana University
- Gwendolyn MacIver '14 is a J.D. candidate, University of Richmond School of Law
- Kristen Dunn '13 works as an Associate Graphic Designer at Haworth
- Athina Alvarez '13 received her M.A. Université Paris Sorbonne (Paris IV); Assistnat Agent at Karine Garnier: Agents de Talents Creatifs
- Justin Korver '13 has been appointed as Graduate Assistant and Teaching Assistant at UTSA. Justin's work has been included in exhibitions at numerous venues, including WoCA Projects, the Bluestar Contemporary Art Museum, and the San Antonio Art League Museum in 2014.
- Nicole Buccella '12 received her M.L.S, Univeristy of Illinois Urbana-Champlain
- Katherine Kirby '12 M.S. Eastern Michigan Univ.; Historic Preservation; Brownfield Redevelopment Specialist/Architectural Historian at ASTI Environmental (previous: Main Street Franklin, Michigan State Historic Preservation Office
- Chris Cox '12 is an 2016 MFA in Photography candidate at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Amanda Norris '12 is working in the Pathways Program for MRC industries in Kalamazoo, Michigan, working with adults with chronic mental illness providing psycho-social therapeutic services as well as providing expressive art making opportunities.
- Alison Zdan '12 is working at Disher, located in Zeeland, MI, since graduation for Graphic Design, Product / Market Research and Marketing
- Chelsea Tarnas '11 has had several group shows on the Big Island and Oahu, and a couple solo shows in Kamuela, HI
- Jaclyn Sweet '10 is a Communications Associate at Princeton University
- Caitlin Stanley '10 is pursuing a Master of Modern Art History, Theory and Criticism degree at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Kristen Mulder '10 is pursuing a Master's Degree at the Michigan State University in Advertising.
- Jaci Van Groningen '10 is working at Disher Design in Zeeland, Michigan.
- Christine Hostetler '10 is freelancing as an "Artist Coach" for SF-based arts and crafts instructional video company, Creativebug.com
- Katherine Wilbur '09 J.D. Loyola University Chicago Law School; Attorney at Varnum LLC
- Amy Weber '09 Received her M.A. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champlain; Production Coordinator, Art Institute Chicago
- Madelyn Rzadkowski '09 is the Curator Meadowbrook Hall
- Emilie Puttrich '09 MFA 2012 San Francisco Art Institute. Currently working as an Art Handler/Installer at the Harvard Art Museums in Cambridge, MA.
- Ario Elami '09 at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
- Amy Gilles '09 received her Master of Fine Arts in Painting in 2013 from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. Amy Gilles is Assistant Professor of Art at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho.
- Audrey Wasielewski '09 at Colorado State University.
- Kat Mojzak '09 is pursuing her Masters in Social Work at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
- Theresa Fernandez '08 Graphic designer for the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Katie Bown '06 is teaching art classes at Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center.
- Gretchen (Schmidt) Fry '05 is working at Corporate Executive Board as a graphic design specialist in Washington, D.C.
- Emily Cable '05 is the art coordinator for the city of Upper Arlington, Ohio.
- Clarissa Gregory '05 is in an MFA program at Maryland Institute College of Arts.
- Emily (Rupchock) Schildhouse '05 is working as a photographer for Lifetouch Photography in the Preschool division. She also does freelance work for the Detroit News.
- Steffanie Rosalez '05 recently finished a commission for the Holland Hospital as well as embarking on a mission trip to India and bring art to the children. Steffanie is part of Re-Use, ReCycle, ReTHINK!
An installation by a local artists' group utilizing found objects in the Mainstreet Gallery of the Holland Area Arts Council.
- Audrey Waples '05 is studying at the Johns Hopkins Medical Illustration Masters program.
- Abby TeGrotenhuis '05 is teaching art at Fennville High School in Fennville, Michigan.
- Heidi Bender '04 has exhibited works at the Ann Arbor Art Center, The Battle Creek Art Center and recently won first prize in sculpture at the Regional Fine Arts and Photography Juried Show.
- Jill DeVries '04 is working at InterVarsity Christian Fellowship in Madison, Wisconsin in their Communication and Multimedia Department as the Account Representative.
- Julie Esch '04 is working at the Felt Estate as the rental coordinator.
- Andrew M. Lick '04 is in the Furniture and Decorative Art Department at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, the Midwest's leading auction house of fine arts, after completing his M.A. in Fine and Decorative Arts at Sotheby's Art Institute in London in in 2006.
- Sharon (Clark) Gutowski '04 is working for Cowan’s Auctions, Inc. (formerly Cowan’s Historic Americana.) One of the nation’s leaders in the sale of Historic Americana, American & European Furniture, Decorative Arts, and American Indian Arts. Two of Sharon's pieces will be exhibited in "Unfinished Works," an art exhibition about the continued fight against HIV/AIDS; her sculpture took 2nd prize and her photograph received an honorable mention. Please visit www.unfinishedworks.org for more information.
- Elizabeth Jetter '04 is working for Nieman Marcus in Chicago on their Visual Team.
- Chris VanPelt '04 is director of web technologies at HQ Group.
- Daniel Berhanemeskel
'03 currently exhibits work in the African Collection in the Smithsonian,
Washington D.C., and is in the M.F.A program at Michgan State University.
- Jen Barrett '03 is currently enrolled at SAIC with a focus in painting and will graduate in December with a B.F.A. She interns with artist, Kim Fisher in Los Angeles.
- Jennifer Chalifoux '02 is Antiquities Director for a company in Chicago called Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
- Matt Parker '02 completed the 5000+ miles of the American Discovery
Trail (ADT) on horseback Thursday, November 3, 2005. With this ride of passage he was the first person to complete the new ADT equestrian route. In addition, Parker will be the first person to complete the trail traveling from the west to east coast since the trail was created. Parker, started his journey in California back in May of 2003. To view where Matt is currently traveling as well as photos and personal movies from Matt’s amazing journey visit www.rideofpassage.com.
- Cheri (Cecil) Phelps '02 is the Studio Programs Coordinator at the Grand Rapids Art Museum.
- Steve Haulenbeek '02 is in the M.F.A program at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago's Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Designed Objects (AIADO) will exhibit its design project
'collective_difference,' at the 17th Annual International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) in New York . The student design team comprised of thirteen students took first place with their design at the 17th Annual International Contemporary Furniture Fair in New York. Steve works for Holly Hunt Design in Chicago, Il as a lighting and home furnishings designer.
- Jennifer (Joubran) Holmes '02 is the owner of Home & Company at the Tower Clock in Holland, Michigan.
- Cassie Krause '02 is teaching art at Hopkins High School in Hopkins, Michigan.
- Jennifer Hoover '01 is on the staff of the
Pace/MacGill Gallery in New York City.
- Elizabeth Seramur '01 is in the Art Conservation program at the University of Texas - Austin.
- R. Brian Wondergem '01 after receiving his
M.F.A. in sculpture at Yale University, is working at the Friedrich Petzel Gallery in Chelsea as their Art Preparator. He is also in the Emerging Artist Fellowship Exhibition at Socrates Sculpture Park in Long Island City, New York.
- Matt Morgan '00 received his M.F.A.in Sound Sculpture from Bard College
in New York. He has his own custom fabrications
business "Men of Old" and is also involved with a musical project of the same name.
- Erin Selmer '00 received her M.F.A in Sculpture from the Cranbrook Academy of Art. She is currently working as a display artist & artist-in-residence at Urban Outfitters in NYC. Erin has also been working on her own line of snow suits; www.manversusnature.com.
- Jeffery Tryko '99 is a research assistant at the Spectrum Health Butterworth Campus in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Nate Greenwood '97 is an art teacher in the Jenison Public Schools. His ceramic pieces are at the Uniq Gallery in Three Rivers, Mi and he also designs and builds custom furniture.
- Brian Grant
'97 received his M.F.A. from Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh and currently lives in New Zealand.
- Matthew Tailford '97 received his MFA from the University of Michigan. He is a freelance artist in Los Angeles, CA, working as a production deisgner, director and film actor. His latest film, "War Prayer" is an official selection in the Beverly Hills Film Festival.
- Naomi Tsukamoto '96 received her MFA from the University of Colorado, Boulder and is currently the assistant to the director of the Dai Ichi Arts, Ltd. Gallery in New York City.
- Heidi VanWieren ’96 received her MFA from Cranbrook Academy of Art. She is currently being represented at the RoyBoyd Gallery in Chicago and
Margaret Thatcher Projects Gallery in New York City.
- Deana Rennick '96 received her MFA in Sculpture from Ohio State University. She also was awarded the International Sculpture Center's Outstanding Student Achievement in Comtemporary Sculpture Award. Deana now works for Healing Icons in Columbia, SC
- Dawn Krukowski Jacobson '94 is an Art Instructor in the Fruitport Community Schools.
- Karen Mahaffy '94 is teaching and has a show/residency in Berlin, Germany
- Dan Miller '94 is a professional artist and teaches
part-time at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago
- J. Chadwick Johnson '93 will be opening a solo exhibition, entitled "Counterintutitive" at the Gallery of Urban Art in Emeryville, California on October 8, 2005.
- Laura Wyss '91 completed
a degree at the International Center for Photography and is an artist
in New York City
- David Chapple '91 painted the commemorative poster for the Independence Day celebration in Washington, D.C. The poster, "A Capitol Fourth," is the first to be designed by a non-Washington, D.C.-area artist.
- Michelle (VanderVelde) Calkins '90 is the owner of Four Corners Framing Company in Holland, Michigan.
- Amy (Braun) Heiney '89 is the Director of External Relations at the Urban Institute for Contemporary Art in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- John Saurer '89 received his MFA from Colorado State University 1995, and has been teaching drawing, sculpture and printmaking at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN since 1995. John is also the Chair of the Art Department.
- Anne Harrington-Hughes ’89 received her MFA from Wayne State
- Laurene Warren '89 is the
Assistant Curator for the Exhibitions at the Frederick Meijer Gardens
and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Elona VanGent '87 is currently the Associate Dean - School of Fine Arts at the University of Michigan
- Matt Vander Borgh '84 is a Harvard graduate working
as an architect in The Hague, Netherlands
- Mark Holmes '83 is a Yale graduate and the former owner of Per-Se for 17 years, which produced
custom furniture. He is Chair of the Art Department at Knox College in Galesburg, IL.
- Jennifer Gould '73 exhibited her textile art figures at the Center for Women in Transition in Holland, MI.
Are you a Hope College Art Department Alumnus/a? You can update your
information via this