Professor of Biology
Grants + Awards
- Janet L. Andersen Provost's Excellence in Teaching Award, Hope College, 2006.
- Sigma Xi Hope College Chapter Research Award, (with K.G. Murray), 2001.
- Michigan College Science Teacher of the Year Award, 1997-98, Michigan Science Teacher's Association.
- Marcia Brady Tucker Travel Award, 1985. American Ornithologists' Union.
- Frank M. Chapman Memorial Award, American Museum of Natural History, 1982-83: "Behavioral Ecology of Four Neotropical Wrens".
- Research Assistantship Award, University of Florida, 1982-83.
- Aaron M. Bagg Student Membership Award, Wilson Ornithological Society, 1981.
- Phi Kappa Phi, 1979.
- Best Student Paper Award, 1979. Southern California Academy of Sciences, Northridge, CA.
- Best Student Paper Award, 1979. Sigma Xi CSUN Chapter, Northridge, CA (w/ K. Greg Murray).
- National Science Foundation -DBI. 2005-2007. "A strategic development plan for the Hope College Field station". With K. G. Murray, T.L. Bultman, E.C. Hansen, & D. Swarthout.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources - Natural Heritage Program. 2-10/2002 with Outdoor Discovery Center of Holland, MI. "Property Restoration and Invasive Species Control".
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources - Natural Heritage Program. 2/1 - 10/11/2000. "Activity Booklet to Accompany the Michigan Wildlife Viewing Guide".
- National Science Foundation Grant DUE-9851665, 1998-2000, "Instrumentation to Integrate Pattern and Process in Organismal Biology and Ecology", ILI Program (co-principal investigator - K.Greg Murray).
- Hope College Faculty Development Grant. 2000. "Development and Implementation of NSF Grant #DUE-9851665: Instrumentation to Integrate Pattern and Process in Organismal Biology and Ecology".
- Hope College Faculty Development Grant. 1998. "Do chemicals in the fruits of Witheringia meiantha protect tropical frugivorous birds from endoparasites and/or ectoparasites?"
- PEW Midstates Consortium in Science and Mathematics Grant: Portable Field Problems for Undergraduate Ecology Labs. Curriculum and Faculty Development Workshop; 1997 (co-awardee - K. Greg Murray).
- National Science Foundation Grant ESI-9353362 (subcontracted by Institute of Ecosystem Studies A. Berkowitz P.I.), 1994-96, "SYEFEST: Schoolyard Ecology for Elementary School Teachers."
- National Science Foundation Grant ESI-9353362 (renewal subcontracted under the Institute of Ecosystem Studies, A. Berkowitz P.I.): "SYEFEST II: Schoolyard Ecology for Elementary School Teachers; 1996-1997.
- Howard Hughes/Hope College Biomedical Foundation Grant in Curriculum Development, 1992: "The Development of Exploratory Labs in Introductory Biology."
- Hope College Faculty Development Grant. 1988. "Evidence for a chemical laxative in the fruits of Witheringia meiantha".
- Hope College Faculty Development Grant. 1987. "Resource level and parental contribution to nestling development in tropical House Wrens".
- Jessie Smith Noyes Foundation Research Grant, Organization for Tropical Studies, 1981: "Behavioral Ecology of Four Neotropical Wrens".
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid, 1980, "Behavioral Ecology of Four Neotropical Wrens".
Office: Science Center 2023
Please make an appointment to see me.