Assistant Professor of Biology and Education
- Scogin, S. C. & Stuessy, C. L. (in press). Encouraging greater student inquiry engagement in science through motivational support by online scientist-mentors. Science Education.
- Bozeman, D., Scogin, S., & Stuessy, C. (2013). Job satisfaction of high school science teachers: Prevalence and association with teacher retention. Electronic Journal of Science Education 17(4). Retrieved from http://ejse.southwestern.edu/article/view/11465/8432
- Scogin, S. C., Cavlazoglu, B., LeBlanc, J., & Stuessy, C. L. (2014). Inspiring student success in diverse Texas high schools: A mixed methods examination of student focus within science programs. Manuscript under review.
- Scogin, S. C. (2014). Science learner motivation and online scientist mentoring: What do we know and where do we go from here? Manuscript under review.
- Scogin, S. C. (2014). Motivating learners in secondary science classrooms: Analysis of a computer-supported, inquiry-based learning environment using self-determination theory. (Doctoral dissertation). Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.
- Scogin, S. C., Cavlazoglu, B., LeBlanc, J., & Stuessy, C. L. (2014, April). A mixed methods analysis of student success in diverse high school science programs. Annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- Scogin, S. C. (2014, March). Motivational support and student inquiry engagement: A self-determination theory perspective of online scientist-mentoring. National Association for Research in Science Teaching Annual Conference, Pittsburg, PA.
- Stuessy, C. L., Peterson, C. A., Perkins, A., LeBlanc, J., Cavlazoglu, B., Ozturk, G., & Scogin, S. C. (2014, January). Is it worth it? What can a complex student-centered science learning environment offer to students learning science? Annual conference of the Association for Science Teacher Education, San Antonio, TX.
- Scogin, S. C. (2013, November). Developing educational videos for science and math instruction. Annual convention of the School Science and Mathematics Association, San Antonio, TX.
- Scogin, S. C. (2013, September). A biography of the Gaston high school building (1932 – present). Fall meeting of the East Texas Historical Association, Nacogdoches, TX.
- Scogin, S. C., & Stuessy, C. L. (2013, June). SWOT analysis of the PlantingScience program using self-determination theory. 5th International Conference on Self-Determination Theory, Rochester, NY.
- Scogin, S. C., Stuessy, C. L., Ozturk, G., & Peterson, C. A. (2013, April). Authentic classroom science using scientist-mentors: Successes and challenges in blending online and laboratory learning. National Association for Research in Science Teaching Annual Conference, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.
- Scogin, S. C., Ozturk, G., & Stuessy, C. L. (2013, February). Broader impacts: Scientists and teachers partnering in K-12 classrooms. 1st International Teacher-Scientist Partnership Conference, Boston, MA.
- Scogin, S. C. (2012, July). Increasing student motivation and engagement in science. Annual meeting of the Botanical Society of America, Columbus, OH.
- Scogin, S. C. (2012, November). A look at student motivation in science using self-determination theory. Annual convention of the School Science and Mathematics Association, Birmingham, AL.
Office: Science Center 3059
Please make an appointment to see me.