|hope college > academic departments > chemistry|
Who We Are
Chemistry Club started at Hope College in 1924 with 35 honorary members and 18 active members. The goal of the original club was to promote fellowship between chemistry department students. Dr. VanZyl acted as the advisor, while the club held meetings every three weeks with the purpose of listening to a speaker.
Applying for national recognition, the Chemistry Club
became a Student Affiliates Chapter of the American Chemical Society
in 1949. since its initiation,
our student Affiliates Chapter received honorable mention achievement awards
in 1998-1999, 1999-2000, and 2006-2007. We've been named a 'Commendable
Chapter' (aka silver medalists) by the ACS Student Affiliates each year
Community oriented, Chem Club involves itself in reaching out to the community. Participation in Relay for Life, a 24-hour walk to raise funds and awareness for cancer, has been an exciting event for students as well as raising thousands of dollars for cancer research. Recently, involvement in Chemistry at the Mall has enabled the chapter to bring science to young kids in the Muskegon Mall in a fun presentation including liquid nitrogen experiments, making “goop”, and testing the electrical conductance of household products.
Finally, socially engaging, Chem Club coordinates activities just for the pleasure of its members. These have included the ever popular tour of the Holland Brewery (with free samples for those of age), intramural sports, and a Christmas party for students and professors (where the chapter recently started the tradition of giving a gift to third-world countries in the name of the chemistry professors), penny wars against the faculty and biology departments, and bowling, among many activities.
If you would like to get involved or obtain more information about us, feel free to contact us.