|hope college > academic departments > dance|
2. Hope has the only K-12 dance major and minor certification from the Michigan Department of Education
3. Member of Great Lakes Colleges Association
4. Off-campus semesters: New York City/Paris/Mexico
5. Dorothy Wiley deLong Endowed Chair: The endowment annually finances residencies with guest artists, companies, choreographers and teachers
6. Twelve Distinguished Artist Awards given per year to support entering students for up to four years of study.
7. Sigma Omicron, honorary dance fraternity, established by Hope Dance Department in 1992
8. Thoroughly trained full-time and adjunct faculty dedicated to teaching
9. dANCEpROjECt and IDT students perform on and off campus with the Hope-associated professional dance companies
10. StrikeTime Dancers: Students perform before grades K-6 in elementary schools gaining additional performance and teaching experience
11. Sacred Dance: Hope dancers choreograph and perform religious themes
12. Annual spring concert and 4 student-produced concerts
13. Advance choreography is offered through independent studies for no more than three students so that they may receive special attention and have their needs met
14. Dance major requirements include a minimum of 57.5 credit hours in dance technique, theory, and history
15. Facilities inspire concentration and movement through space: five studios and three performance facilities
16. Concentrations in Performance/choreography, dance education, a preparatory program in dance therapy, dance/pre-med, and dance/engineering. Low student/teacher ratio creates a beneficial environment for achievement in ballet, modern, jazz, and tap classes. Hope's precise theoretical and technical curriculum prepares the degree candidate for performance, choreography, production, education, dance therapy, and/or any other field related to dance.