|hope college > academic departments > education|
Criteria for Applying to Student Teach
In order to student teach, students must apply for and receive permission from the Education Department of Hope College. Students must meet specific criteria and complete an application process in order to be considered and approved for student teaching.
DEADLINES FOR APPLICATION
* 1st Friday in November of Junior year for students wishing to student
teach during the Fall semester of the Senior year.
Students applying after these deadlines have no assurance that their applications will be considered and approved for student teaching during the requested semester. Extension of the professional education sequence may be necessary.
CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL TO STUDENT TEACH
The following criteria must be met by the time the student teaching experience begins. Some items may be in process, however, when the student applies for permission to student teach.
1. Acceptance to the Teacher Education Program at Hope College.
This means that students must have the
required GPAs in order to be approved. Approval will be withdrawn
of the GPA’s fall below a 2.75, before the student
teaching experience begins.
8. Evidence of grades of C+ or higher in all Level II and Level III
Students will be notified by e-mail of a meeting regarding the application process.
1. A Student Teaching Application must be electronically submitted on-line by the stated deadline. To apply click here.
2. Student must submit a resume to the Office of Career Services using
3. The Education Department will request an endorsement from the chairperson
of the department of the major field of study.
1. Responsibility for smooth matriculation from admission to certification
rests with the student. The student is responsible for reading the Education
Department Handbook and following procedures and deadlines outlined therein.
Based on the above criteria and procedures, the Education Department carefully considers applications to student teach. Each student will be notified in writing of the Department’s decision to approve or deny the application.
Students who have been denied permission to student teach may appeal the decision. Procedures are outlined in the Appeals Process section of the website.