Research Grant Program Guidelines
APPLICATION REVIEW CRITERIA
Applications will be reviewed by the CRE steering committee based on the following review criteria:
- Intellectual merit of scholarship
- Potential impact on research program of the prinicipal investigators
- Potential impact on research program of undergraduate researchers
- Potential impact on the HHMI 2012 program
Awards are for 12 months with a maximum award of $15,000 - funds unspent within 12 months are to be returned unless permission is sought and given for a no-cost extension prior to the expiration of the grant.
Senior personnel support should not exceed 10 weeks of support/individual and should not exceed $800/week of support. Student support should not exceed 10 weeks/individual at $450/week of support. Please remember that funds for the employer contribution to FICA and MQFE taxes on stipends must be included in the budget request. (This is currently 7.65%, but check the Sponsored Research Project page for current information.)
We strongly urge applicants to explore ways in which this award funding can complement other funding opportunities (such as the MSGC Research Seed grants and the MSGC Undergraduate Fellowship Program).
GRANT APPLICATION CONTENT
Complete applications should include:
- completed cover page (included in the application template)
- brief abstract (less than 1/2 page)
- project description (less than 4 pages)
- significance of work
- expected outcomes
- potential difficulties
- how the project will connect to other HHMI 2012 programs
- plans for external funding to continue work
All materials should be in 12 point font, single-spaced, with 1-inch margins. All pages should be numbered. (See application template.) All materials should be merged into a single pdf document and e-mailed to email@example.com by the application deadline.
- A final report is due 12 months after the award date.
- If an extension is needed to complete the work AND expend funds, a progress report, including justification for the extension and a timeline for completion of research and final expenditure of funds must be submitted at least one month in advance of the award expiration.
- The PI must give a campus seminar in which the results of the work are presented. (Collaborators on the project may be co-presenters.)
- Presentations/publications arising from this work must acknowledge... and be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org