CFL: Great Commision Grant
Jesus called Christians to “go and make disciples of all nations” in Matthew 28:18. This is known as “The Great Commission.” The goal of the Great Commission Grant is to grow innovative ideas that commit to The Great Commission’s call. The Great Commission Grant is funded by Gospel Communications International and managed by The Center for Faithful Leadership’s Entrepreneurial Development Program.
The Great Commission Grant exists to fund and foster new, innovative ideas for spreading the Gospel to the younger generation nationally and internationally through media. It is designed as an opportunity for Hope College students to expand either an existing ministry or create a new ministry. Recipients of The Great Commission Grant will receive funds (initially $1,000) and a coach to assist in the implementation of their ministry plan. An additional goal of The Great Commission Grant is for growth to occur in the recipients. This is a learning experience coupled with practical ministry.
The Great Commission Grant is recommended for a ministry team. A Hope student must be on the team and involved in the application process; though, not all team members are required to be Hope students. Individuals will not be discounted but teams are encouraged.
- Teams must propose a new ministry strategy that utilizes media.
- An application must be fully completed for consideration.
- Participation in the Update Nights is required.
- Must be willing to engage with a coach during the implementation process
The initial grant award is $1,000 with the possibility of additional funding after re-evaluation. The Great Commission Grant may be used in a number of ways, both for expanding an existing ministry or creating a new ministry. Funds are intended to increase the reach of the Gospel to the younger generations through communication media. Communication media is a broad term that includes a wide range of things, from books to radio to social networking. Feel free to be creative in your use of communication media.
After the grant is awarded, recipients are required to submit a report on their results and a proposal for further funding. The first Update Report and Proposal is due March 12th, the second is due on April 16th.
- January 31, 2014: Application due
- February 6, 2014: Interviews
- February 12, 2014: Award Notification ($1,000)
- March 12, 2014: Update Report and Proposal due (Additional funding of $2,500 possible)
- March 19, 2014: Update Night #1
- April 16, 2014: Update Report and Proposal due (Additional funding of $5,000 possible)
- April 23, 2014: Update Night #2
- Who was your audience?
- What did you learn about their needs?
- What did you learn about the validity of your idea?
- How did you measure whether your idea was successful?
- Based on your metric of success, was your idea successful at spreading the Gospel though media? How do you know?
- Was the $1000 spent wisely? Why?
- Is this idea capable of reaching more and more people? How would you measure this?
- How would you spend an additional $2500 to show this idea is scalable?
Applications must be completed and submitted on or before Friday, January 31 at 3 pm. Completed applications may be submitted by email to email@example.com or in person to The Center for Faithful Leadership office.
Answer these questions completely in order to be considered for The Great Commission Grant. If a question is unclear, please contact Steve VanderVeen at The Center for Faithful Leadership.
- Specifically, who is the audience (What segment of the younger generation) do you intend to reach?
- How, in the next 5 weeks, will you clarify and validate their needs?
- Why are their needs not currently being met?
- What is your idea for a solution that will meet their needs?
- How, in the next 5 weeks, will you determine whether your idea will be successful?
- What is unique about the way you intend to use media?
- What is distinctly Christian about your approach?
- Who are the members of your team and why are they the right people to implement this proposal?
- Who will you need to collaborate with?
- Budget: Please complete this table with your intended use of the initial $1,000.