Hope College Partners with Holland Public Schools
As part of Hope College's stated desire to serve as the primary higher education partner for the Holland Public Schools, Dean of Social Sciences Richard Ray has embarked on a variety of initiatives with HPS Superintendent Brian Davis. Among the efforts being spearheaded by Ray and Davis include HPS's New Tech High School - planned for Fall 2010.
Professors from the Education, Modern and Classical Languages, Mathematics, Physics, and Biology Departments have participated in site visits to an Indianapolis high school operating on the New Tech model. Professor Laura Pardo of the Education Department will participate in New Tech teacher training in April. Other elements of the Hope-HPS partnership include
- Mutual support for the Children's After School Achievement Program (CASA).
- Joint grant writing efforts designed to strengthen learning in STEM disciplines.
- Carl Frost Center for Social Science Research design for various HPS program evaluations.
- Professonal development for HPS teachers provided by Hope College faculty.
- Field placement and student teacher opportunities for Hope College students in HPS classrooms.