A city seminar incorporates your experience in the workplace — and the city — with your academic coursework.
16-week semester program
Our intensive city seminars are taught by full-time faculty members and meet once a week. City seminars often fulfill general education, diversity and major- or minor-specific requirements. Receive four upper-level academic credits for this 16-week fall or spring semester course.
Be sure to meet with your on-campus academic advisor or department chair to learn more about credit transfer.
- CITY SEMINARS
- Students choose from one of three seminars:
- Power and Authority
- Inside Out
- Conversations and Constructions of Race and Urban Education in America
Note: course offerings may vary by semester. Students who need to take a specific course are encouraged to pre-register.
- The Philadelphia Center offers five to seven electives each semester, including:
- Abnormal Psychology
- Theory and Issues in Urban Economics
- Exploring Relationships in Fiction and Film: Sex, Gender, and Sexuality
- Principles of Finance
- Principles of Marketing Management
- Senior Seminar
- Social Justice
Note: course offerings vary each semester; students who need to take a specific course are encouraged to pre-register.
- CREDIT BREAKDOWN
After successfully completing our 16-week semester program, each student will receive 16 hours of academic credit from Hope College.
Internship 8 semester hours City Seminar 4 semester hours Elective Seminar 4 semester hours Total 16 semester hours
8-week summer program
- Dates: Saturday, May 28, 2016 to Friday, July 22, 2016
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2016
The Philadelphia Center’s 8-week summer program grants eight academic credits and is an option for students who:
- Have already participated in a semester abroad but would like to explore a profession, develop skills, and/or receive job training prior to graduation
- Cannot go off-campus for a semester due to athletic schedule or course requirements
- Need a few extra credits for graduation
- Students who participate in our 8-week summer learning work program will take the three-credit seminar, “Entering Professional Life: An Experience-Based Look at Workplace Relations.”
- Credit Breakdown
- After successfully completing our 8-week Summer Learning Work Program, each student
will receive 8 hours of academic credit from Hope College.
Internship 5 semseter hours City Seminar 3 semester hours Total 8 semester hours