Description of Functions
2b. Divisional Deans:
- Dean for Arts and Humanities
- Dean for Natural and Applied Sciences
- Dean for Social Sciences
Each dean is responsible to the Provost for overseeing the departments
within the appropriate division(s) (Performing and Fine Arts, Humanities,
Natural and Applied Sciences, Social Sciences) and for directing or overseeing special
programs and activities related to the areas of these divisions.
- To oversee the departments in the four divisions, which include:
in curriculum development, review of curricula, and evaluation
of proposed curricular changes;
- Direction of faculty recruitment
for approved positions;
- Allocation and appointment of part-time
faculty and paraprofessionals;
- Selection of departmental chairpersons
in consultation with the Provost;
- Working in concert with the Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning, engage in faculty development;
- Mentor and develop departmental chairpersons;
- Monitoring and approval of 295
and 495 courses;
- Review of departmental budget requests and monitoring
- Monitoring and approval of teaching loads;
- Allocation of space
assigned to the divisions and direction of planning for the future
- Participation in the evaluation of faculty
and recommendation for salary increases, promotion, tenure, leaves
of absence, and grants.
- To formulate and control the faculty travel
fund budget allocated to the division (s), discretionary funds,
and the dean's office budget.
participate in fund raising, especially preparation of proposals for
programmatic funding for the division(s).
- Working in concert with the Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship, provide leadership in the
development of research programs and assistance to faculty applying
for research opportunities and grants.
- Other responsibilities assigned
by the Provost.
< previous | next >