Faculty Personnel Policies
B20 Other Leaves of Absence
- A leave of absence other than a sabbatical leave may be granted for
a period of up to one year. Normally, a faculty member receives
no salary during such a leave. Given extraordinary circumstances,
it may be extended for an additional semester or year. Application
may be made in writing and submitted to the Provost through the appropriate
department chairperson and divisional dean. After consultation
with the dean, the Provost will recommend an action to the President,
who will make the final decision.
- The following conditions apply for leaves of absence:
- Leaves are granted for professional or personal reasons.
reasons may include the completion of an advanced degree, acceptance
of an unusual research opportunity, an invitation to serve as a
visiting professor/ scholar at a distinguished college or university,
the acceptance of a post doctoral service in a government agency,
travel related to professional development, etc.
- Personal reasons may include, child-bearing, family illness,
exploration of an alternative career direction, etc.
- A Faculty Member is eligible to apply for a leave of absence
after two years of full-time teaching at Hope College.
- If, under special circumstances, the faculty member is to receive
any remuneration from the college, it will be determined by the provost
in consultation with the faculty member prior to the granting of leave.
- If remuneration is approved by the college, the faculty member is
is obligated to return to the college for one semester of service for
each semester of leave.
- Leave shall be granted upon recommendation of the provost and approval
by the president. If approved, the provost will issue a letter of authorization
which must include a statement of any special conditions which are
- The departmental chairperson, divisional dean, and Provost will determine
whether a temporary replacement is needed.
- If the faculty member, while on leave, decides not to return to the
College, he or she must notify the Provost no later than March 1. Approval
of an extension of leave beyond one year may carry with it the requirement
of earlier notification of the intention not to return.
- For leaves other than those covered by B18, Family or Medical
Leave of Absence, Hope College will provide full health insurance
coverage but will make no contributions to the employee's retirement
account, unless the faculty is receiving some remuneration from the
College. For any faculty member granted a leave of absence, Hope
College will pay the entire premium for all other benefits which
are included in a normal faculty contract, with payments based on
the full annual salary that would have been paid if the faculty member
were on campus teaching.