Driver Authorization Program
In order to drive Hope motor pool vehicles, students and guest drivers must become authorized through the Driver Authorization Program. The process is as follows:
- Potential drivers must be asked to drive for a Hope sponsored event by a department representative.
- Potential drivers must complete the Driver Information Form. They are also required to review the Vehicle Usage Policy and Motor Vehicle Rating standards.
- The Transportation Office at Campus Safety will receive the completed Driver Information form and will check the potential driver’s Motor Vehicle Report (MVR). The results of the MVR can take up to 2 days to receive.
- Potential drivers requesting Hope College Driver Authorization for the first time MUST contact Transportation at 616-395-7799 to schedule an appointment for a Safety Review conducted on Friday mornings. The Safety Review is an informal 20-30 minute appointment during which the student demonstrates his/her skill and comfort level in driving a 12-passenger van. Potential drivers must submit the Driver Information Form and call the Transportation office for an appointment prior to Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. to be scheduled for that week’s safety review.
- Potential drivers must bring their valid driver’s license to the appointment.
- Upon successful completion of the Driver Safety Review, the driver will be issued an Authorized Hope Driver card which is valid for 1 year.
- Drivers needing to be re-certified must re-submit the Driver Information Form, but are not required to repeat the Safety Review.
- After reading through all of the instructions, if a potential driver believes he or she will qualify under the listed requirements, that driver should complete the Driver Information Form.