Personal Computer Purchase Agreement
Hope College's Department of Computing and Information Technology
(CIT) strives to be an enabling resource in the use of technology
for academic study, office productivity, and other areas of
college life, there occasionally comes a time when expectations
and limits must be set in the form of policy.
It is not the intention
of CIT to develop and enforce policies to bureaucratically
offend and limit the people it serves; rather, these policies
exist to ensure reliable, secure and fair technology solutions
continue at Hope College.
Therefore, as you read the
policy statement below, please keep in mind that its intention
in the larger scope is to maintain an excellent technology
infrastructure and not to limit creativity, academic freedom,
or other appropriate and welcomed activities.
The college recognizes the need for benefit eligible employees to maintain current technological standards in their day to day activities. The Personal Computer Purchase Agreement allows employees the opportunity to purchase a new computer and finance it through the college.
Details and eligibility requirements are available by contacting Human Resources.
While CIT is committed to providing high-quality service to faculty
and staff through this benefit, some limits must be set to ensure
that CIT's normal (i.e., college business) work flow is not upset.
Therefore, CIT will:
- Consult with faculty and staff about specific questions and options
regarding computing-related purchases. You may wish to start
- Order computers and computer equipment. Visit our "ordering" web
page for more information.
- Provide initial setup, testing, and configuration of computers
purchased through CIT or of the brands and models that CIT pre-approves.
- Installation of standard CIT-supported software packages
(a legal license and original factory restoration media are required).
- CIT will copy documents from an old computer to a new computer.
- Provide warranty and out-of-warranty repairs to equipment purchased
- Provide hardware and software upgrades (must be pre-approved
by CIT and deemed "reasonable").
Services not Provided:
- Installation and troubleshooting of games.
- Configuration, installation, or repair of hardware or software
unfamiliar to CIT. In general, CIT will not install or repair hardware
or software not purchased through CIT.
- House calls (all equipment must be brought in to CIT).
- Services exceeding two hours staff time per incident.
- Loaner equipment.
- E-mail or network privileges for spouse/dependents.