The Computer Science Department strives to maintain an up-to-date laboratory environment, both in terms of hardware and software, using a combination of open-source and commercial products. The following outlines the hardware and software available in our teaching classroom and the student lab. If there is software that you feel would be helpful in completing your work that is not currently available, please send email to the Computer Science department chair (email@example.com)
Teaching Lab (VanZoeren 142)
24 Lenov x220 TabletPCs running Windows 7
Development Environments and Tools
- Java Development Kit version 6 update 14
- Java Runtime Environment 5.0 update 19
- BlueJ version 3.10.8
- Eclipse version 3.6 (Indigo) for Java EE (click link to download ZIP file containing Eclipse as configured on the classroom and lab computers; this is for 64 bit windows)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: includes Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Tools for Redistributing Applications and Unit Testing tools. Also includes the .NET Framework 3.5 SDK.
- Ant version 1.7.1
- ActiveState Perl
- Firebug, a plugin for firefox that aids in understanding CSS and many other things about a web page.
- DrRacket (a development environment for Racket, a LISP-like programming environment)
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera
- PuTTY ssh client
- WinSCP ftp/scp client version 4.1.19
- POV-Ray version 3.5: ray tracing
- Blender version 2.63a (modeling software)
- Tao Framework (library for writing OpenGL programs in C#)
- Microsoft Office 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Visio
- Open Office
- TortoiseSVN version 1.7.7
- 7Zip (ZIP file manipulation)
- Text Editors: Notepad++, Emacs
- Adobe Reader
- CutePDF PDF Writer
In VWF 115, the main student lab, are a 16 HP HPE-210y desktop PCs with 64-bit AMD Phenom II 945 QuadCore processors, 8GB of RAM and 1 TB hard-drives, running windows 7. All of these workstations are connected to 24" Sun LCD monitors.
In addition, there are 7 laptop stations where students can easily plug in their personal laptop, and use it along with a keyboard, mouse, and a 23" ACER monitor.
In addition to the software installed in VZN 142, the following software is installed in VWF 115, the main student lab:
- Camtasia Studio and Snag-it: screen capture and editing programs
- MikTeX/LEd (LaTeX Editor)
- The GIMP
- Nero CD-ROM burning software