Each student has file space available on a file server named torque3. This space is available from all computers on campus, and is backed up on a regular basis. It is therefore a good idea to store your files there, so that you don't have to worry about losing all your important files on that flash drive that you dropped on the way to class!
Accessing your files via Windows
- Right-click on the My Computer (Windows XP) or Computer (Vista, Windows 7) icon, either on your desktop or on the start menu
- Choose Map Network Drive
- For the folder, enter \\torque3.engin.hope.edu\username, where username is your Vanderplex (and also 1Hope) username. Note that these are back slashes, typically located above the Enter key.
You can choose any drive you want; when in VWF 115, the drive is H: (for home directory), so you may want to choose that for consistency.
- When prompted, enter your Vanderplex user name and password.
You can leave out the .engin.hope.edu part of the folder if you are on campus. If you don't live on campus, this may not work, as your ISP may block SMB traffic. Some cottages are not technically on the campus network (see this page for information, wireless cottages are on SBC's network).
Accessing your files via a Macintosh
- Click the Finder icon in the Dock
- Choose Connect to Server from the Go menu
- In the address field of the Connect to Server dialog, enter smb://torque3.engin.hope.edu/username, where username is your vanderplex (also 1Hope) username.
- When prompted, enter your vanderplex user name and password.