Dining at Hope College
with a food allergy
Eating safely at Hope College
There are 8 food items that account for almost 90 percent of food allergic reactions:
We work hard to identify all dishes that are prepared with these select items and in addition we advise diners with allergies to do the following:
Pay attention to entrée name. Dishes made with common allergens often have the allergen mentioned in the entrée name.
Establish a relationship with the chef. Simple conversations with the chef in your daily visit to the dining halls can make your dining experience a lot easier. The chef can go over ingredients used in recipes and how the meal was prepared.
Read labels! Our chefs will be happy to tour the kitchen with you so you may view labels of the foods you will be eating.
When in doubt… If there is ever a question about an entrée, we recommend you avoid consuming it.
Dine at Hope's Special Diet Tips
• Vegetarian and vegan selections are available at each meal
• Some seasonal vegetables and fruits are used from local growers
• Low fat cottage cheese and yogurt are always available on the salad
bars, along with at least four fresh fruits
• Salad dressing choices feature a wide variety of high quality dressings,
including light, fat-free choices and oil and vinegar
• Whole grain breads, wheat wraps and gluten free breads are available
• Gluten-free products including pancakes, waffles, pizza crust, pasta,cereal
• Olive oil/canola oil blend is used for cooking
• Trans Fat Free frying oil is used for frying
• Trans-Fat Free Grill Shortening is used for cooking
• Nut-free, soy-free and gluten-free desserts are available by request
• Fresh eggs, whole liquid egg and no-cholesterol egg whites are available
• 2% milk is used in all recipes
• Alternative milks include soy, rice, almond and lactose-free milk
• Vegetables are steamed without oil or butter, unless indicated
• No latex gloves are used for food preparation in our facilities
• We do not add MSG to any recipes
• We use shelled eggs for all our breakfast/lunch/dinner items, except
our scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs are made from carton eggs.
• All of our milk is rBGH free. You can check out more information HERE
• Pizza crusts are all trans fat free
• We use MSG free bases to make our homemade soups, sauces and stocks.
We do use a few prepared sauces such as hoisen, bourbon, orange ginger, salad
dressing (exception of ranch) etc. However, most (90%) are homemade. The only
pre-pared soup we use is Campbells' Cream of Tomato soup and Cream of Mushroom
Sauce because of customer preference.