Dr. Flora ChuangAssistant Professor of Mandarin Chinese
Flora Chuang joined Hope in fall 2015 to develop a three-year pilot program of Mandarin Chinese. She is originally from Taiwan, and she recieved her doctorate degree from the University of Texas at Austin in summer 2015.
Her dissertation focuses on New Taiwanese Cinema and how its development helps audiences’ reception of envisioning East Asia as a community. Besides academic training, she has taught Mandarin Chinese in North American higher education for seven years.
AREAS OF expertise
- Chinese literature and film
- New Taiwanese Cinema
- Cultural theory
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., The University of New Mexico
- B.A., National Sun Yat-sen University
- “An Inquiry to the Reception of Taiwanese Cinema in the New Millennium,” Watersheds Conference, The University of Barcelona, Spain, 2014
- “The Legacy of Taiwan New Cinema and Beyond: Newcomers in the 1990s, Cinema in and Outside China,” The University of Manchester, United Kingdom, 2013
Outside the college
Flora enjoys jogging, doing yoga and exploring west Michigan.