Wendy ColsenPart-time Lecturer
Wendy Colsen joined Hope's education department in 2011 and teaches elementary and secondary education courses. Wendy has more than 15 years of K–12 classroom experience.
- Ph.D., education leadership and curriculum, Eastern Michigan University
- Ed.S., education leadership, Grand Valley State University
- M.A., teaching, National Louis University
- B.A., psychology, Purdue University
Awards and Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Psi Chi
- Golden Key
Teacher of the Year Nominations
- USA Today
- Sallie Mae
- "Parent Communication 101," Student Teaching FIRE UP Conference
- "Sticky, Icky, and Tricky Situations for Teachers: What They Don't Teach You in College," Student Teaching FIRE UP Conference
- "Engage Your Students Using Learning Styles," Student Teaching FIRE UP Conference
- "Resume Rescue," Student Teaching FIRE UP Conference
- "Grading and Assessment Gone Wrong," GVSU Continuing Ed.
- "Building Literacy in the Content Areas," GVSU Continuing Ed.
- "Making Curriculum Relevant with Project-Based Learning," GVSU Continuing Ed.
- "Using Learning Styles to Engage Learners," GVSU Continuing Ed.
- "Using Learning Styles to Differentiate Instruction," GVSU Charter School Training
- "Using Data & Learning Styles to Differentiate Instruction," Michigan Education Association Regional Conference & GVSU Charter School Training
- "Telling Tales for Teens Youth Writing Workshop," Holland Area Arts Council
- "Differentiated Instruction/Response to Intervention in Middle School," AdvancED National Conference
- "How to Write Query Letters for Freelance Writers," Saugatuck Center for the Arts
- "Differentiating Instruction in 6th Grade," Spring Lake Public Schools
- "Differentiating Instruction in Reading," Saugatuck Public Schools
- Co-authored Super Reading Made Easy Grades 1–2, School Zone Publishing
Outside the College
Wendy is currently working on her dissertation and is rarely seen outside of the library or local coffee shops, which serve as her home away from home. When she finishes the dissertation, Wendy plans on getting back to pursuing publication of her children's books and completing her young adult novel.