hope college financial aid    
hope college > campus offices  > financial aid     

Forms <
Financial Aid Basics <
How to Apply <
Cost and Payment <
Loan Information <
Policies to Know <
Multicultural Students <
Nontraditional Students <
Off-Campus Study <
Summer Aid <
Student Employment <
College Tax Benefits
Financial Aid Calendar
Money Matters <
Helpful Links <
Consumer Information <
Contact Us <

Who is eligible?

The Office of Financial Aid administers a broad array of financial aid programs, including academic merit scholarships, grants, loans and work study to assist in meeting a student's demonstrated financial need.

In addition, programs are available for families who do not demonstrate financial need but who are interested in investigating various education financing options such as a monthly budget-payment plan, student employment, the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, the Federal PLUS Loan, and educational loans.

Financial need is the difference between the estimated cost of attendance for a school year and the expected family contribution. Since several factors in this evaluation are subject to change from one year to the next, this evaluation is made annually for each student who chooses to apply for need-based financial aid.

The expected family contribution is based on the information provided by the family on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Hope College Supplemental Application for Financial Aid (SAF). Factors such as income, assets, family size, family members in college, and age of parents are considered in determining a family's ability to pay. Hope College assumes that all families will contribute toward educational costs to the extent they are capable. To do an quick estimate, see the Expected Family Contribution and Financial Aid Calculator.

To be considered for most financial aid you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen enrolled in a degree or certificate program of study at least half-time (six credit hours per semester)
  • Make satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan
  • Not owe a refund on any federal financial aid grant
  • Be registered for selective service (if required)
  • Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent
  • Have a valid Social Security number