- present your library card for library services at Hope College Libraries and Beardslee Library
- fill out a blue Guest Registration form at the circulation desk
- you must have a Michigan address and be in 9th grade or older
- you must have a driver’s license or other photo ID
- Guest Registration fee is $10 per year, with a $2 charge to replace a lost card
- Fee-exempt cards are available to certain Hope-related groups
- you may borrow up to 50 items at a time
To RENEW items yourself online:
- Go to the Library home page: http://www.hope.edu/lib.
- On the HopeCAT tab, follow the My Account link.
- Log in using your 1Hope username (without @hope.edu).
- For help call 395-7905, or bring the item to the circulation desk.
- when 1 week overdue, $1 per item
- special loans—$1 per day, $10 maximum
- replacement fee of $55 is charged for each item 3 weeks overdue (when the item is returned, the replacement fee is cancelled)
- borrowing privileges are suspended when any money is owed to the library
The library's Lost and Found is located at the main circulation desk. Items turned in are kept for 2 weeks, then sent to the college Lost and Found at Campus Safety. The library is not responsible for any items left in the library at any time.
Library users may enjoy snacks and beverages in the Van Wylen Library. However, food and drink pose a potential risk to library collections, equipment, and furnishings. We therefore ask that you act responsibly when consuming food and drink in the library.
- Beverages may be brought into the library if they are in a covered drink container such as a covered coffee mug or sports cup.
- Please limit aromatic and messy foods (pizza, salads, soup etc.) to the Cup & Chaucer lounge area. Groups and classes may arrange to bring food into the Granberg Room.
- Be considerate of other library users and Hope custodial staff
- Clean up after yourself
- Report spills immediately to the Circulation Desk
- Dispose of trash properly.
As per Hope College policy, use of tobacco in any form inside the building is prohibited, including cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. Chewing tobacco is also banned in the library. In compliance with the College Smoking Policy, there must be a 25-foot buffer between smokers and all buildings, vents and doorways.
Nearly all of the library's databases and electronic journals are available from off-campus to Hope College students, faculty, and staff. To access them, go to your Library Account login page and enter your 1Hope account login name and password. After you log in, you will be able to access library databases via the Databases page until you close your browser. Or, simply use the Off-campus A-Z Database List and you will be automatically asked to sign in!
The computers in the Hope College Libraries are for the use of Hope College students, staff, and faculty. Users in Van Wylen Library must log in to the computers using their 1.Hope account information. Members of certain groups that do not have 1.Hope accounts are provided with a username and password by the coordinator of their group. Those groups are:
- Upward Bound
- Hope Summer Repertory Theatre
- Summer Research Students
- Brain Institute
- Registered Conference Attendees
Guest users must ask for assistance at the Reference Desk. Librarians will allow guests to search HopeCat at the Reference Desk, or will log guests in to a computer if their research needs deem that necessary. While guests may be permitted to use Hope’s research databases, they are not permitted to access e-mail, social networking sites, or “surf the web.” Guests are also not permitted to type papers, work on spreadsheets, or perform similar activities. Herrick District Library provides access to computers for all of these purposes.
Wireless computer usage is restricted to only those persons with a valid 1.Hope account.
All computer users must adhere to the College’s Computer Usage Responsibilities.