Help and Services
At the library, we like to think of ourselves as a trusted partner on your journey of self-discovery and learning. We offer a range of services, but they all share a common goal: to help you find the information you need.
- Circulation & Borrowing
Van Wylen Library loans materials to the Hope College community and the general public. The Circulation Desk is located on the first floor of the library and is open during all hours of library operation. For assistance, visit us in person, call 395-7905 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Borrow from Other Libraries (ILL)
With Interlibrary Loan (ILL), you can borrow items not owned by Van Wylen Library. Before requesting anything through ILL, make sure to check our library catalog and MeLCat. MeLCat is a statewide lending service that typically sends items faster than traditional ILL does.
- Media & Project Services
The Media Services Desk and TechLab are located on the second floor of Van Wylen near the entrance to Van Zoeren Hall.
- Media Services: The place to make posters, borrow equipment like laptops and cameras, buy supplies including flash drives and envelopes, and get your projects laminated, bound and/or printed in color
- TechLab: A specialized computer lab that is staffed by student tutors. It supports academic technology projects and assists with digital content creation
- Citation & Plagiarism Resources
Our proudest moments come when we help you to cite your sources properly. Here are some hand-selected resources for your betterment.
- EasyBib Web - A complete citation management and source documentation system
- EndNote Web - A complete citation management and source documentation system
- Chicago Manual of Style Online - Covers all aspects of academic writing and publishing, including citation guides for notes and bibliographies
- KnightCite - For quickly generating single MLA, APA, or Chicago Style citations to copy and paste into your document
- Purdue OWL - Help with MLA, APA, and Chicago Style citations
We are also experts in preventing plagiarism.
- Special Collections
The Joint Archives of Holland collects the institutional records and personal papers of Hope College and Western Theological Seminary, as well as local history materials related to the greater Holland area.
Digital Commons presents scholarly work by members of the Hope College community, as well as digitized versions of college publications such as the Milestone and the Anchor.
ContentDM Image Collections document the history of Hope College and Holland using photographs and artwork. The materials cover a range of topics, including historic buildings, landmarks and postcards.
The Curriculum Library provides resources to the Hope College community, with a particular focus on education majors. Materials include juvenile and young adult fiction, textbooks, activity and idea books, curriculum guides, games and reference materials for grades K–12.
The Rare Books Collection includes early books on science, art, the history of the Netherlands and Dutch settlers in America, and an assortment of Bibles.
The Van Raalte Institute is a research center focused on Dutch American history, the history of Holland and the history of Hope College.
- Using Tech at the Library
The TechLab is a place to utilize the newest software and get help from experts. It is especially useful for creating presentations and editing images.
Laptops & Digital Equipment: We have Macbooks, Chromebooks, iPads, cameras, adapters and more. All you have to do is ask for them at the second floor Media Services Desk.
Printing: There are public printers on the first and second floors of the library. To print to them using your own computer, follow these instructions.
Wireless: WiFi is available throughout the library. To gain access, use the network key.