Hope College Public Relations    
hope college > public relations      

 
Google Hope College
Hope Phone/Address Search


About Hope <
Hope Today <
Contact Hope <
Getting to Hope/Holland <
Academics
at Hope
<
The Arts <
News and Events <
Services to the Media <
Publications <
Sports Information <
Hope Souvenirs <
Hope Links <
 

Campus Development 

1847
Settlements created in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa by citizens from the Netherlands.

1848
" Holland" Michigan platted as a "Village."

1850
A "Tract of Land" donated by the Rev. A.C. Van Raalte, later known as "The Five Acres" and designated as a site for "The Academy."

1851
" The Pioneer School" the first educational institution in the new settlement, formally opened on "The Five Acres" in October.

1858
Van Vleck Hall erected on "The Five Acres."

1859
" Five Acres" enlarged to 16 acres and designated "The College "Campus."

1886
Construction started on the President's Home (completed in 1892).

1892
Graves Library and Winants Chapel cornerstone laid October 12; dedicated, June 26, 1894.

1903
Van Raalte Memorial Hall dedicated, September (destroyed by fire April 28, 1980).

1906
Carnegie Gymnasium dedicated, June (renamed "Carnegie-Schouten Gymnasium" in 1954; razed in July, 1982).

1907
Elizabeth R. Voorhees Girls Residence dedicated, June.

1929
The Memorial Chapel dedicated, June (renamed "Dimnent Memorial Chapel" in 1959).

1942
Science Building (later "Lubbers Hall") formally opened, September 16; renovated, summer, 2006.

1950
Formal opening of Winifred Hackley Durfee Hall, residence hall for women, September 26.

1956
Music Hall completed (named for the late John B. Nykerk in 1962).

1956
Kollen Hall opened (dedicated, September 1, 1957).

1960
Phelps Hall dedicated.

1961
Van Zoeren Library opened September (dedicated, October 8; renamed Van Zoeren Hall in 1988).

1963
Fraternity Dormitory Complex opened.

1963 Gilmore Hall opened, September.

1964
Physics Mathematics Hall opened September (renamed "VanderWerf Hall of Physics and Mathematics," October 9, 1981).

1967
Dykstra Hall completed, September.

1969
Brumler House for apartment living dedicated, September 28.

1970
Wynand Wichers addition to Nykerk Hall of Music dedicated, October 25.

1971
DeWitt Student and Cultural Center opened, September; main theatre renovated, 1996-97.

1973
Peale Science Center opened, August; renovated and integrated into the A. Paul Schaap Science Center, 2003-04.

1978
Dow Health and Physical Education Center opened, August.

1982
College East Apartments opened, August.

1982
DePree Art Center and gallery, a former furniture factory, dedicated, October 15.

1986
Maas Student and Conference Center constructed.

1988
Van Wylen Library dedicated, April 21.

1988
The Holland Theatre downtown donated to the college and renamed and reopened by Hope as the Knickerbocker Theatre.

1988
Admissions House completed, May; named the Bekkering Admissions Office, May, 2006.

1988
Joint Archives of Holland opens on the ground level of the Van Wylen Library, October.

1989
College Guest House at 85 East 10th Street opened, September; renamed the Keppel Guest House, March 29, 1992; becomes Campus Ministries office, summer, 1994; moved to 129 East 10th Street, August 16.

1990
Van Andel Plaza dedicated, August 17.

1990
Paul G. Fried International Center dedicated, September 22.

1990
Van Zoeren/VanderWerf renovation and DeWitt Center for Economics Business dedicated, October 12.

1991
The track and field facilities at the Ekdal J. Buys athletic complex are named in honor of Gordon Brewer '48, April 27.

1991
Lugers Fieldhouse dedicated, September 28.

1994
Six-court, indoor DeWitt Tennis Center dedicated, October 14.

1996
78-84 E. Eighth St. and 100 E. Eighth St. purchased, announced October 2; 100 E. Eighth St. named the Anderson-Werkman Financial Center, May, 2005.

1997
Haworth Inn and Conference Center completed, January; dedicated, May 22.

1997
van Tamelen Plaza dedicated, spring.

1997
Cook Residence Hall completed; dedicated, October 17; expansion opens, fall, 2006.

1999
Addition to Nykerk Hall of Music provides space for an organ studio; organ dedicated, October 6, 2000.

2002
Three racquetball courts in the Dow Center transformed into a weight room and fitness room; the former weight room becomes a dance studio; summer.

2003
Kieft Garden completed, June.

2004
Dedication of the science center, October 8; building named the A. Paul Schaap Science Center, May 5, 2006.

2004
Henri and Eleonore Theil Research Center dedicated, October 25.

2005
Dedication of the Martha Miller Center for Global Communication, October 14.

2005
The arena of the Richard and Helen DeVos Fieldhouse opens with home men’s and women’s basketball games, November 19, 2005; building dedicated, January 27, 2006.

2007
E.M. Skinner Organ rededicated following 2005-06 restoration, January 30.

2008
Baseball field renovated and stadium named in honor of Ronald ’60 and Sonya (Sunny) Boeve; softball field renovated and stadium named in honor of Karla Hoesch ’73 Wolters and Tom Wolters ’73, dedicated April 26, 2008.

2009
Graves Hall rededicated following adaptive restoration, October 9, 2009

2009
Van Andel Soccer Stadium dedicated, October 17, 2009


(updated July, 2010)