|hope college > public relations|
April 2010 Obituaries
Howard B. Ausema ’58 (1/22/10)
Dirk C. Bloemendaal Sr. ’52 (12/9/09)
Ruth Brouwer ’51 Boersma (12/10/09)
Duke Nguyen Browning ’80 (9/23/09)
William L. Carlough ’52 (1/14/10)
Carol Matheis ’57 Cassidy (11/10/08)
Paul L. Cook ’50 (2/2/10)
John DeHaan ’49 Jr. (11/26/09)
Russell DeVette ’45 (11/23/09)
William G. DeWeerd ’67 (11/12/09)
Florence Vis ’36 Douma (11/22/09)
Lamidi Olonade Fakeye (12/25/09)
Max J.V. Frego ’50 (1/29/10)
Curtis D. Haaksma ’64 (12/14/09)
Cecil L. Hendrix ’44 (12/31/09)
Nancy Herlein ’63 (11/7/09)
Joan Roos '60 Hielkema (10/23/09)
Richard C. “Dick” Johnson ’49 (1/4/10)
June Meeusen ’50 Kapenga (1/6/10)
Susannah J. Kist ’84 (12/4/09)
Owen J. Koeppe ’49 (1/27/10)
Alma Cook ’33 Kuiper (12/31/09)
Norma Mae Becksfort ’42 Lemmen (1/18/10)
Leonard Maas (3/5/10)
Jack Mellema ’52 (1/6/10)
Raymond J. Mulder (Hope Prep) (1/11/10)
Gerard E. “Jerry” Mull ’50 (12/9/09)
Ted Nielsen (12/11/09)
Juella Freye (Prep '33) Peeks (1/10/10)
Jane Benedict ’70 Perrin (1/24/10)
Helena I. Post ’70 (10/11/05)
L. Dyke Rottschafer '60 (8/9/09)
LeRoy A. Sandee ’47 (1/6/10)
Karen (Snuttjer) Schakel (12/9/09)
Leonard “Nick” Schregardus ’49 (2/4/10)
Catherine Voris ’39 Shaw (4/30/09)
Ruth Lam ’61 Ter Beek (3/1/10)
Leonard Topp ’63 (2/3/10)
Gretchen Yonkman ’54 Vandenberg (11/7/09)
Jane Vandervelde-Stoltz ’74 (11/13/09)
Arlene (Arkie) Wieten ’49 Van Raalte (12/13/09)
Eugene E. van Tamelen ’47 (12/12/09)
Margaret Laman ’39 Vegter (11/8/09)
Evelyn Wezeman ’47 Watters (11/19/09)
Earl Weener ’49 (12/17/09)
Marion Hanna ’49 Weinmann (11/16/09)
LaVerne “Pete” Welling ’46 (1/24/10)
Meredith “Will” Williams ’50 (10/28/09)
William Robert Wishmeier ’39 (12/6/09)
Kenneth G. Woltman ’58 (12/29/09)
Richard J. Wyma ’58 (1/11/10)
He was owner and partner of Chesterfield Awning in South Holland, Ill., since 1958.
He was a member of Living Springs Community Church in Glenwood, Ill.
He was preceded in death by a grandson, Brandt Ausema.
Survivors include his wife, Tekla “Thea” Ausema; his children, David (Ruth) Ausema and Susan (Steven) Van Poolen; five grandchildren; and his sisters, Connie (John) Janke, Ruth Ausema ’61 (Terry) Hofmeyer, and Joyce (Don) Greenfield.
He was a highly respected science teacher at Holland High School for 37 years. One of his major contributions was his development of the school’s arboretum. He also loved to take his physiology classes to Upper Michigan on bird watching expeditions.
He was an outdoorsman who loved camping and fishing adventures. He was also a writer, authoring “The Michigan Pictorial Campground Guide” and co-authoring the “Tulip Time” book. In addition, he was a leading photojournalist for the magazines “Hard Hat News” and Michigan Contractor and Builder.”
He was a member of Fellowship Reformed Church.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Patricia Bylsma Bloemendaal, in 1991.
Survivors include his wife, Carolyn “Keri” DeBoer Bloemendaal; five children, Dirk ’76 (Jill) Bloemendaal Jr., Kim (Mike) Wiersema, Amy Bloemendaal ’82 (Stan) Besser, Betsy (Shahrouz) Zayanderoudi, and Matt Bloemendaal; a step-daughter, Mimi (Dave) DeJonge; 11 grandchildren; two step-grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and five brothers and sisters.
She was an active member of both Zion Reformed Church in Grandville, Mich., and Calvary Reformed Church in Holland.
She was preceded in death by her parents-in-law, Marcus and Margaret Gazan; her parents, Paul and Catherine Brouwer; first husband, Milton Gazan; her second husband, Bill Boersma; a sister, Elinor Schipper; and a nephew, Ken Schipper.
Survivors include her children, Linda Gazan, Gary (Jan) Gazan, Mark (Sue) Gazan, and Jim Gazan; step-children, William C. ’68 (Cheryl) Boersma, Tom (Kitty) Boersma, and Ruth Morreale; her sisters, Edith (Henry) DeWitt, Marian (Norm) Vruggink, and Florence (Dale) Schreur; her brothers-in-law, Justin Schipper and Harold and Nancy Gazan; her sister-in-law, Dorothy Gazan; 11 grandchildren, including Jacilyn Gazan ’07 Deiter; and four great-grandchildren.
He was born in Vietnam on Sept. 17, 1954, and grew up in a small town south of Saigon and later moved to the capital city. He served in the South Vietnamese marines for three years, and on the last day of the war, April 30, 1975, he left the country and eventually moved to the United States.
He was born Duc Ngoc Nguyen. Jenna V. Browning Jelles and her family had taken Duke in after he came to the United States, and he credited her with playing a major role in his life, from her example of Christian living to introducing him to Hope. In honor of the Browning family, he changed his name to Duke Nguyen Browning when he became a citizen of the United States in 1982. Mrs. Jelles died on March 30, 2006. Her children include Jo Anne Browning ’66 (Robert ’66) White, Mary Browning ’69 (Rick ’69) Vanden Berg, Janice Kemink ’69 Hornack, and the late John ’71 (Janet) Kemink.
A more detailed account of Duke’s early life can be found in the August 2000 issue of “News from Hope College” in the profile “Images.”
After graduating from Hope, he earned a J.D. degree at Washburn University. He had been a practicing attorney since 1986, most recently serving as vice president/general counsel for Epcot Electric, a provider of electricity to commercial and residential customers throughout Texas.
Duke had a passion for singing and writing music. He wrote more than 60 songs of different genres, Christian as well as secular, and also recorded CDs.
He was a member of Holy Covenant United Methodist Church in Katy.
He was preceded in death by his father, Tran Nguyen.
Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Kerrin Wilson ’80 Browning; three children, Amy N. Browning, Laura N. Browning and Michelle N. Browning; his mother, Bao Nguyen; and his siblings, To & Kim Chi Nguyen, Rang Nguyen, Lua Nguyen, Danh Nguyen, Thom Nguyen, Doi Nguyen, and To Van Kieu.
He was born in New Jersey on June 20, 1931, the son of William Leslie and Martha Balfour Carlough. He graduated from Weehawken High School in New Jersey in 1948.
He earned a degree in biology at Hope, a Master of Divinity degree from General Theological Seminary in New York in 1959, and a Ph.D. in religious philosophy from New York University in 1961. He also studied at Western Theological Seminary, Columbia University and the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.
He began his career at the Church of the Master in New York City and later taught at Muskingum College. In 1964 he became professor of social sciences at Bloomsburg University, where he subsequently founded and chaired the department of philosophy. He also directed the university’s international education program and led yearly student trips abroad. Many students fondly remember the courses he taught in the summer of 1981 to 1992 in Salzburg, Austria, through the Pennsylvania Consortium for International Education.
He was a minister at large in the Presbyterian Church USA most of his career and was active in Northumberland Presbytery and on the finance committee of the synod. From 1984 to 1998, he served as pastor of Mahoning Presbyterian Church in Danville, and from 2001 to 2007, he served on the permanent judicial commission of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church.
He was an avid reader, gifted debater and enthusiastic traveler, with whom many friends and family experienced the world. He also enjoyed sailing, reciting poetry and spending time with his family.
He was an active member of the community, participating in the Danville Community Players, scouting and public speaking.
He was preceded in death in 1972 by his first wife, Patricia Pas ’52 Carlough, and by a sister, June Halik.
Survivors include his wife, Carol Stephens; his children, Leslie Carlough of Portland, Ore., Martha Carlough of Durham, N.C., and Rebecca Robbins Crider of New York, N.Y.; six grandchildren; and his sister, Doris Lambert, of Plantsville, Conn.
She retired from the Merrick school system as a kindergarten teacher.
She was an active member of Massapequa Reformed Church.
Survivors include her husband, James Cassidy, and two children, James (Jaime) and Mary Jane.
He was born March 2, 1925, in Holland, Mich., to Peter and Adriana (Breen) Cook. He graduated from Holland Christian High School in 1943.
He then served in the U.S. Army during World War II in the 102nd Infantry, stationed in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany from June 1943 to September 1945. He received the Bronze Star for bravery.
He earned master’s and Ph.D. degrees in organic chemistry from the University of Illinois - Champaign Urbana.
He married Alice Gravenhorst ’51 in New Jersey on Aug. 18, 1951. She survives.
He taught chemistry at Albion College for 36 years, served on faculty committees and passed on his love for chemistry and education to students who went on the graduate school or medical school.
He spent more than 25 years as a timer for Albion College basketball and football games, and was honored by his induction into the Albion College Athletic Hall of Fame in October 1996. In 1968 and 1982, he was selected as the honorary referee for the MIAA Track and Field Day. From 1955 to 1982, he was Albion College’s faculty representative and secretary to the MIAA governing board.
He was an active member of the First United Methodist Church of Albion, a church school teacher, and member of the trustee committee and chancel choir.
He was treasurer of the Friends of the Library and worked at the American Red Cross blood drives, as well as donating blood. In the early years of the Albion Ambulance Service, he was a driver and dispatcher. He was a member of the American Chemical Society, Sigma XI, the University of Illinois Alumni Association, Albion Exchange Club, and the Lansing American Legion.
He was preceded in death by a sister and brother-in-law.
Survivors in addition to his wife of 58 years, Alice Gravenhorst ’51 Cook, include four daughters;10 grandchildren; and one brother.
He was born March 31, 1925, in Holland to John H. and Jennie (Van Den Elst) DeHaan, and graduated from Holland High School in 1943.
He immediated left to serve in the U.S. Army in the medical battalion of the 85th Infantry of the 8th Army in North Africa and Italy.
Upon discharge from the service as a first sergeant, he attended Hope and graduated from the University of Michigan with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
After brief employment with Dunn and Bradstreet in Grand Rapids, Mich., he spent the majority of his career working for Ottawa County Abstract and Title Co., later renamed The Title Office. He retired in 1992 after 41 years of service.
He thoroughly enjoyed his retirement years, especially when he could be with his wife, Peggy, at their cottage at Stony Lake in Michigan.
Various travels with family and through the Elder Hostel Organization were special pleasures.
He was a member of Hope Church, where he served over the years in a variety of capacities, including deacon, elder, Sunday school teacher, youth sponsor, and Big Brother. He participated enthusiastically in church activities his entire life.
He was also a member of HASP (Hope Academy of Senior Professionals) at Hope.
He was a tolerant and generous spirit. He opened his home and cottage to friends, relatives, foreign exchange students, and the friends of his children and grandchildren.
He loved the outdoors and participated in hiking, camping, cross-country skiing and fire building. His pace was fast as he led children, grandchildren and neighborhood children on hikes through the woods, dunes and beaches of Michigan.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Marguerite “Peggy” Prins ’49 DeHaan; his children, Ginny DeHaan ’75 (David Kempston ’74) of Grand Rapids, Mich., John David ’79 (Pat) DeHaan of Holland, Tricia (Ed) Parsekian of Stony Lake, Margie DeHaan of DeWitt, Mich., and Peter ’87 (Melissa) DeHaan of East Jordan, Mich.; 14 grandchildren, including Jonathan A. DeHaan ’07; and seven great-grandchildren.
DeVette taught and coached at Hope for nearly 40 years, from 1948 until retiring in 1988 as professor emeritus of physical education.
An outstanding basketball player at Hope in the 1940s, he was the first recipient of the most valuable player award from the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA).
At times in his Hope career he coached three sports in the same school year. He coached the men's basketball team from 1948-51 and from 1956 to 1977. He was also the head football coach from 1955 to 1969. He remained on the football coaching staff as defensive coordinator through 1987. He also served as head coach in both baseball and women's track. The teams combined to win 14 MIAA championships.
In 2007 the Hope College Alumni H-Club presented him the "Hope for Humanity Award." A holiday men's basketball tournament is named in his honor. DeVette enrolled at Hope in 1941 from Muskegon as a member of the Class of 1945, but his education was interrupted by service in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II, and he returned and completed his degree in 1947. During his pre-war years as a student he was a member of the 1942-43 "Blitz Kids," the first Hope men's basketball team to go undefeated in MIAA play. In 1947, he was the first player ever to receive the MIAA Most Valuable Player Award in basketball.
After graduating from Hope with degree in history education he went on to the University of Michigan for a master's in physical education before returning to the college to teach and coach.
He served an additional three years in the U.S. Marine Corps in the 1950s and coached basketball one year at the University of Maine before returning to Hope.
As a member of the faculty he developed the college's physical education minor, and also served as the athletic director and chairperson of the department. In 1986 he co-authored the book Coaching Basketball: The Complete Book from Beginning to Championship Play with faculty colleague Dr. William Vanderbilt, a 1961 Hope graduate who as a student had played for DeVette.
DeVette was head coach of the men's basketball team from 1948 to 1951 and from 1956 to 1977. Over 24 seasons, his basketball teams captured nine MIAA championships and one NCAA regional crown. He was also head football coach from 1955 to 1969, during which period the team won two MIAA titles, and he remained on the football coaching staff as defensive coordinator through 1987. He also served as head coach in both baseball and women's track; his baseball teams won league championships in 1953 and 1954, and his women's track team won league championships in 1981, 1982 and 1988.
DeVette was named the Michigan NAIA Coach of the Year in basketball for 1956-57. From 1975 to 1981, he was a member of the first basketball committee for the NCAA Division III, serving as the committee's chairperson during the last two years. In 1989, he was inducted into the Muskegon Area Sports Hall of Fame.
The college's annual Russ DeVette Holiday Tournament in basketball is named in his honor. During the tournament in December 2005, the main basketball gymnasium in the Richard and Helen DeVos Fieldhouse was named the "DeVette-Van Wieren Gymnasium" in recognition of him and his wife of 60 years, Doris Koskamp ’50 DeVette, who survives, and current coach Dr. Glenn Van Wieren and Van Wieren's wife Jackie, for their decades-long service to Hope. Glenn Van Wieren, who has been head basketball coach since 1977, is a 1964 Hope graduate and played basketball for DeVette as a Hope student.
DeVette was a member of the Holland City Council for three terms, from 1975 to 1987. His community service through the years has also included coaching and mentoring the Ottawa Hustlers, a basketball team comprised of adults with learning disabilities; Meals on Wheels; Evergreen Day Health; teaching English as a second language with Community Education; The Bridge Store; and serving on the board of Camp Geneva. He was a charter member of Christ Memorial Church of Holland.
Survivors in addition to his wife, Doris, include his children: Christi DeVette ’72 (Glenn ’74) Hayden of Whitehall, Mich.; Lynne (David) Bouvea of Phoenix, Ariz.; Joel (Crystal) DeVette of Holland; Steven (Shelia) DeVette of Grandville, Mich.; Kurt ’83 (Jianna Smalley ’92) DeVette of Holland; and Lisa DeVette ’84 (Mark ’84) Werley of Zeeland, Mich. Also surviving are 15 grandchildren, including Kirsten Werley ’06 and Megan Werley ’07 Ringnalda; his brother, Ben (Becky) DeVette; and his sisters, Kathy DeVette ’53 Bremer and Marlene DeVette ’56 Dykstra.
He was born in Holland, Mich., on Sept. 14, 1945, to George and Leona DeWeerd.
He attended Hope and graduated from Western Michigan University with both bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
He was an elementary teacher with the Wyoming (Mich.) Public Schools for 32 years. He loved teaching and fondly remembered the many students and dedicated faculty he was honored to work with through the years.
He was known for his love of family and his love of good books and the environment.
Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Carol (Olson) DeWeerd; two daughters, Cristin (Kirt) Zuiderveen of Jenison, Mich., and Amy (Jason) McGovern of Chicago, Ill.; two grandsons; his sister, Sharon (Ron) Goodyke of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and his brother-in-law, Roger (Jenna) Olson of Charlotte, N.C.
She was born May 13, 1914, in New Sharon, Iowa, the daughter of Jean and Bertha Vis. She graduated from Sheldon High School in 1932. She married Hope classmate Rev. George C. Douma ’36 in 1939. He preceded her in death in 2000.
She taught elementary school in Chicago, Ill., and Grand Rapids, Mich. She taught Latin and English at Fairplain Middle School in Benton Harbor, Mich. For nearly 60 years she helped her husband serve Reformed and Presbyterian churches in Michigan, Indiana and Florida.
Florence and George Douma established the Douma-Vis Scholarship Fund at Hope.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by her son, David B. Douma; her brother, Preston Vis; and her sister, Bertha Vis ’41 VanWyk.
Survivors include her daughter, Carol Douma ’63 (John) Catoe of Ormond Beach, Fla.; her daughter-in-law, Karen Douma of Ada, Mich.; four grandchildren, including Pamela Douma ’88 (William) Fay, David ’91 (Suzanne Stoll ’92) Douma, and Jason ’01 (Angela) Douma; 11 great-grandchildren; and her brother, Eugene Vis ’48.
He was an internationally renowned wood sculptor descended from five generations of woodcarvers, and trained in the traditional Yoruba system of apprenticeship. He had made numerous visits to Hope through the years, most recently for a demonstration and talk in conjunction with Homecoming Weekend on Saturday, Oct. 10. He was an artist-in-residence at the college in the fall of 1996, during which the gallery of the De Pree Art Center featured a retrospective exhibition of his work. In February 1997 he presented the college with the four door panels that are featured outside the Fried-Hemenway Auditorium on the main floor of the Martha Miller Center for Global Communication.
Retired from Obafemi Awolowo University, where he was a senior art fellow, Fakeye had taught and exhibited extensively both in Nigeria and internationally. His work is in many private collections, as well as in the permanent collections of numerous institutions, including Hope. He was named a UNESCO Living Human Treasure in 2008.
He was a veteran in the Counter Intelligence Corps during the Korean War. Father Frego was baptized into the Catholic faith on Sept. 24, 1953 at St. Joseph Parish in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., and ordained to the priesthood on June 2, 1962, by Bishop Allen J. Babcock at St. Mary Parish in Big Rapids, Mich., for the Diocese of Grand Rapids. He was incardinated into the Diocese of Saginaw (Mich.) on July 20, 1971. During his priesthood, Father Frego served as assistant pastor at St. Mary Parish in Big Rapids, St. Stephen Parish in East Grand Rapids and St. Adalbert Parish in Grand Rapids. In 1973, he was appointed pastor for St. Cyril Parish in Bannister, Mich., where he served until 1983. He then served as pastor for St. Paul the Apostle Parish in Ithaca, Mich., and St. Martin de Porres Parish in Perrinton, Mich., from 1983 to 1992 and as pastor at St. Hedwig Parish in Bay City, Mich., from 1992 until 1994. Father Frego was granted senior priest status (retirement) on July 20, 1994. In his retirement he provided ministry assistance at St. Michael, St. Jean Baptiste, St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, and Our Lady of Grace parishes, all in Muskegon, Sacred Heart Parish in Muskegon Heights, St. Ann Parish in Frankfort and St. Joseph in Traverse City, all cities in Michigan. He is survived by his brother and sisters: Don and Arlene Frego of Holland; Patricia and Jack Shinabarger of Holland; Beverly (Harper) and Julius Essenburg of Holland; and Phyllis Tomlinson of Washington, Ill.
He was born Oct. 5, 1939, in Grand Rapids, Mich., to Marshall and Henrietta (De Man) Haaksma, who preceded him in death.
He married the former Helen Johnson on Aug. 17, 1963, in Farmington, Mich. She survives.
He was employed in sales and marketing for many years.
He and his wife moved from Chicago, Ill., to the Spring Lake area in 1976.
He was a former member of Spring Lake Country Club. He played basketball at Hope and was an avid golfer. He loved all sports activities and also enjoyed 30-plus years with his friends in the Grand Haven (Mich.) Garden Club.
Survivors in addition to his wife, Helen, include a daughter, Amy (Gary) Smithson of Grand Rapids; two sons, Curt A. (Ann) Haaksma of Spring Lake and Tim ’98 (Danielle) Haaksma of Murfreesboro, Tenn.; five grandchildren; and one sister, Barbara (James) Hoekzema of Spring Lake.
He was born Feb. 14, 1919, in Benton Harbor, Mich., to Floyd and Ilabelle (Fuller) Hendrix. He graduated from Benton Harbor High School in 1936 and from United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, in 1947.
He married his high school sweetheart, Lucille Campbell, in 1936. They enjoyed 68 years of marriage before her death in 2004.
He served as a pastor with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, which late became the United Methodist Church (UMC), in the Indiana cities of Butler, Bremen, South Bend, Elkhart, North Manchester and Huntertown. In retirement, he was a winter associate pastor of the First United Methodist Church of Mission, Texas, where he and his wife spent 18 winters.
Most recently he was a member of Trinity UMC in Warsaw, Ind., where he actively continued his service to the Lord by teaching Sunday school, occasionally preaching at his church and at chapel services at Grace Village, as well as singing in the choir.
He wrote frequent articles for the “Warsaw Times-Union” newspaper in the “opinion/letters” section on subjects that he felt passionately about, mostly concerning his deep faith in his Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.
In addition to his wife, Lucille, he was preceded in death by one son, David Hendrix, and two brothers, Donald Hendrix and Dale Hendrix.
Survivors include four children, Cecille (Alan) Huff of Poland, Ohio, Dennis (Jill) Hendrix of Elkhart, Ind., Linda (Charles) Nightengale of Mishawaka, Ind., and Jeffry (Mochel) Hendrix of Falls Church, Va.; one daughter-in-law, Nancy of South Bend, Ind.; one brother, Warren (Anna Jean) Hendrix of St. Joseph, Mich.; one sister, Marilyn (Bob) Wells of Zephyrhills, Fla.; 13 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
She was born Jan. 19, 1942, to Merlin Lammert and Grace Sadie (Klemp) Herlein in Muskegon.
She earned master’s degrees in education and divinity.
She taught for many years in the Muskegon Public Schools, retiring in 1995.
She was a member of the former Central Reformed Church, where she served on the consistory and as the assistant pastor. She was appointed by then Governor Milliken to serve on the Michigan Tenure Commission, and she served as head negotiator for the teachers’ union.
Nancy loved her family and was known for her generosity and artistic talent. She enjoyed collecting dolls and continued her mother’s love of roses and gardening. She also loved animals, especially cats.
She was preceded in death by her parents and by two sisters, Vivian Rademaker and Peggy Ludwig.
Survivors include her daughter, Mary Herlein of Muskegon; her brother, Merlin Robert (Virginia) Herlein of Twin Lake, Mich.; her sister, Doris Herlein of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and two brothers-in-law, Richard Rademaker of Muskegon and Ray Ludwig of Shelby, Mich.
She was the daughter of Arthur Cornelius ’23 and Ruth Dalman ’39 Roos. As the daughter of a pastor, she was raised in Holland, Mich., German Valley, Ill., Castlewood, S.D., and Williamson, N.Y.
On June 10, 1960, she married Arthur Gerald Hielkema ’57 in Holland. He survives.
She taught first and second grades in Holland for three years. After moving to Orange City, Iowa, in 1960, she continued her dedication to early childhood education. She served as education coordinator with Mid-Sioux Opportunity for nine years and as Head Start director for seven years. She also helped establish the Orange City Day Care Center and was president of the board of directors for three years.
She was a member of the American Reformed Church, where she sang in the choir for many years, was actively involved in numerous women’s ministries, participated in Bible study, and taught Sunday school classes.
She was a volunteer and board member of the Hands Around the World store, and assisted with Tulip festival night shows and flower shows in Orange City.
She enjoyed music, quilting, collecting dishes and owls, and decorating their home, as well as traveling with her family. Together, Joan and Art traveled internationally and donated their time participating in frequent mission trips.
Survivors in addition to her husband include two sons, Stephen (Susan) Hielkema of Columbus, Ohio, and Timothy Hielkema of Des Moines, Iowa; one daughter, Sarah (Brian) Wiese of West Des Moines, Iowa; five grandchildren; a brother, Robert ’52 (Marie) Roos of Grandville, Mich.; and a sister, Louise (Richard) Hermenet of Williamson, N.Y.
He was born Nov. 14, 1926, and raised in Berwyn, Ill., the son of May E. (Jones) and Lawrence W. ’17 Johnson.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Navy and was honorably discharged in 1946.
He and his first wife, Betty Anne Marsh Johnson (1928-1985), raised four children. Dick shared with them his love of jazz, show tunes, singing in the car, and everything else musical. He also taught them the value of kindness and loving your neighbor. He passed along his sense of humor and sarcasm to all of his children and practically all those he met.
He had a 37-year career with IBM, retiring in 1985 and relocating to Bonita Bay, Fla.
He married his second wife, Carol, in 1986. Throughout their 23-year marriage, they experienced and enjoyed many travels from the rugged outdoors of America’s great parks to the exquisite temples and palaces of Europe. They also shared a love of theater and the arts. Dick also loved cooking, boating and tinkering with things that he could (sometimes) repair.
He was involved in the Literacy Council and Christian education and the library at First Presbyterian Church of Bonita Springs.
He loved music, the English language, humor, his family, the beauty of the earth, his country and God, and he surrounded himself with these things throughout his life.
He was preceded in death by his brother, Lawrence “Bud” Johnson, in 2007.
Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Carol Johnson; children, Katherine Johnson of Springfield, Ill., Elizabeth Tepikian of Houston, Texas, Richard Johnson of Chicago, Ill., Barbara Johnson of Long Island, N.Y., George DuBois of Orlando, Fla., and Janet Calderaro of Boston, Mass; 13 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; a sister, Diane Johnson ’57 of Madison, Wis.; and a brother, Lew Johnson of Lehigh Acres, Fla.
She and her husband, Alvern Kapenga, who preceded her in death in 1989, were directors of Camp Geneva, and also served on domestic home missions for the Reformed Church in America.
She was a current member of the First Reformed Church of Zeeland and a past member of Christ Memorial Church and First Reformed Church, both in Holland, Mich.
She is survived by her children, Jane (Fred) Kramer of Holland, Mark (Pam) Kapenga of Holland, Dawn (John) Lievense of Allegan, Mich., Dean (Jan) Kapenga of Hamilton, Mich., and Tom Kapenga of Tamarac, Fla.; 14 grandchildren, including Benjamin Kapenga ’00, Rachel Kapenga ’06 (Keith ’03) Lam, and Tarah Kapenga ’08; 24 great-grandchildren; her sisters, Elaine Meeusen ’47 (Bruce) DePree of Zeeland and Nancy Meeusen ’70 (Robert ’75) McNiven of Altamont, N.Y.; and brothers- and sisters-in-law, Midge Kapenga of Penny Farms, Fla., and Doris and Merlin Klooster of Byron Center, Mich.
She was born Dec. 8, 1961, in Milwaukee, Wis. She grew up in West Bend, Wis., living in Ridge Run County Park.
In 1989 she moved to Chicago, Ill., where she was director of the Lathrop Music Center, a mission outreach of the Church of the Good News for 12 years. In 1993 she moved to Palatine, Ill. Music and drama were her passions, and whe was always involved in both, sometimes as a participant, but more often as a teacher. She taught piano and voice and ran theater and music programs for the Palatine Park District. She was founder and director of the Wood Street Theater.
She was a member of First United Methodist Church in Palatine. The past year she was director of children’s ministries, started a young women’s vocal ensemble and attended the Women of God Bible study group.
Survivors include her parents, Susan Crysdale Kist, and Roger and Denise Kist, all of West Bend; her grandmother, Susan Crysdale; her siblings and their families, Abraham ’86 (Sayuri) Kist-Okazaki, Isaac ’88 (Tamara) Kist, Sarah Beth Kist, and Jacob (Beth) Kist; and her partner, Glen Jackson.
His education started at home, with his mother teaching him and other missionary children. He attended Shanghai American School from 1939 to 1941. Because of the impending war, he returned to the United States at age 15, graduating from high school in Holland, Mich., in 1943. He entered Hope in September 1943.
He entered the UlS. Navy on May 27, 1944, served as radio technician on several ships in the Pacific Theater, and was discharged on July 1, 1946. His education then continued at Hope College, where he graduated with a degree in chemistry in 1949, and was recognized as a Distinguished Alumnus in 1979.
He was married to JoAnn E. Moessner ’49 on June 14, 1950, in Muskegon, Mich. Their three children were all born in the 1950s: John (1953), Robert (1955) and Barbara (1958).
He received his M.S. degree (1951) and Ph.D. degree (1953) in biochemistry from the University of Illinois in Urbana. After a post-doctorate fellowship (1953-55) at the University of Minnesota, he joined the University of Missouri (UM) biochemistry department in August 1955. He was a professor of biochemistry from 1955 to 1973, serving as department chair from 1968 to 1973. Owen possessed a passion for teaching, and was recognized three times by the students of the UM Medical School with a “Golden Apple” award for excellence in teaching. He was also a member of the Faculty Council, serving as chair from 1970 to 1973; and a Faculty-Alumni Award recipient in 1972.
In 1973 he became Provost for Academic Affairs at MU and held that position until 1980. He was planning a return to the biochemistry department, when offered the provost position at Kansas State University (KSU). He served as provost at KSU from 1980 to 1987, and then taught biochemistry at KSU until his retirement in 1992, receiving an Undergraduate Teaching Award in 1992.
Owen and JoAnn moved back to Columbia in 1992. Shortly after his return he helped coordinate MU's pre-accreditation self-study. Later he was appointed interim director of the university's Museum of Art and Archeology and held that position for 18 months.
Owen was a charter and active member of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Columbia, serving as an ordained elder, Clerk of Session, and active in Christian education. He enjoyed classical music throughout his life, and was board president of the Missouri Symphony Society in 2004. Owen was a sports enthusiast, enjoying many years in faculty golf and bowling leagues, and was an avid Tigers fan. With a passion for travel, he enjoyed numerous overseas trips with his wife and brother and sister-in-law, Roger and Norma. Especially memorable were family trips to Michigan and several trips to the western United States when his children were young. Members of his immediate family also fondly remember those trips, now more than ever.
He was preceded in death by his brother, Roger Koeppe ’44, in 2009.
Survivors include his wife of almost 60 years, JoAnn Moessner ’49 Koeppe; his children, John ’75 (Mary Kolean ’77) Koeppe, Robert (Karen) Koeppe, and Barbara Koeppe ’80 (Jim) Higdon; four grandchildren; his sister, Ruth Koeppe ’52 (James A. ’51) De Young; and his sisters-in-law, Norma Lemmer ’44 Koeppe, Barbara Moessner ’53 and Kathryn Moessner.
She was born on Oct. 31, 1911.
She taught in various schools and retired from the West Ottawa Public Schools in 1975.
She was a longtime member of Third Reformed Church and she was active in the Women’s Guild and Circle.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Chester E. Kuiper ’35, in 1973.
Survivors include her children Mary Kuiper ’63 (Dennis J. ’63) DeWitt, Ruth (Terry) Husted, and Paul Kuiper (Louise Kreun); 14 grandchildren, including Marsha Elzinga ’85 (Jeffrey) Myaard, Mark L. ’87 (Dawn De Young ’92) DeWitt, and James D. ’88 (Kathryn Chandler ’87) DeWitt; and 26 great-grandchildren, including Sarah M. Ashcroft ’11.
She was born Oct. 1, 1920, in Holland, Mich., the daughter of Henry and Johanna (DeYoung) Becksfort.
She had been a resident of the Lansing area and a member of the Immanuel Community Reformed Church since 1967.
She taught in the Michigan school systems of Dearborn, Holland, Howell and Grand Ledge.
She enjoyed golf, travel and bowling with her husband, Irving.
She was preceded in death by her brother, Howard Becksfort ’40.
Survivors include her husband, Irving Lemmen; their children, Raymond (Ann) Lemmen, Mary (John) Duff, and Ruth (David) Brouwer; her brother, Robert Becksfort ’50; nine grandchildren, including Gretchen Lemmen ’00 (Curtis ’00) Kesler and Kurt ’02 (Brooke Vivian ’02) Lemmen; 12 great-grandchildren; brothers-in-law, Wayne (Carleen) Lemmen and Douglas Lemmen; and sister-in-law, Shirley Kammeraad.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army who served during World War II and earned the Bronze Star.
He was a charter member of Olivet Reformed Church. He enjoyed winters in Florida and singing in the choir at Marco Island Presbyterian Church.
He served on the Grandville School Board, and the boards of Hope College, Geneva Camp and Conference Center, Quincy Street Inc., and Capitol Bancorp Ltd.
He was actively involved with Hope College for many years, serving on the Board of Trustees from 1979 to 1993, and subsequently as an honorary member of the board.
He and his wife, Marjorie, established two endowed positions at Hope. The “Leonard and Marjorie Maas Endowed Professorship in Reformed Theology,” first awarded in 2007, is presented to a faculty member whose scholarly emphasis is on the historical and philosophical development of Reformed theology through the present day. The Leonard and Marjorie Maas Endowed Chaplaincy, first awarded in 1998, provides on-going support of the campus ministries program at Hope.
Together with their sons Thomas ’78 and Steven ’81, Leonard and his wife, Marjorie Maas, who survives, donated the college’s Maas Center, which was dedicated in 1986. Leonard and Marjorie established the Kelder-Maas Scholarship in honor of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Kelder and Mr. and Mrs. Lambert Maas. They also provided major support for the Richard and Helen DeVos Fieldhouse and the A. Paul Schaap Science Center.
The college awarded Leonard and Marjorie Maas honorary degrees in 2001.
Survivors, in addition to his wife of 57 years, Marjorie, and his two sons Thomas ’78 (Cecelia) Maas and Steven ’81 (Lisa) Maas, include his brothers, Mart (Mag) Maas, Larry (Elsie) Maas and Bill (Mary Lou) Maas; 10 grandchildren, including Steven Maas ’11; and his sisters-in-law, Doris (Bill) Osterink, Carol Cox, and Betty (Terry) Beemer.
He was born in 1930 to Henry and Margaret Cedarquist Mellema.
He graduated from Hope and from the University of Notre dame.
He lived in Worthington, Ohio, and Palatine, Ill., in addtition to Ocala.
He was preceded in death by his brothers, Don Mellema and Henry Mellema II.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Mellema; his ex-wife, Faye; and a son, Thomas (Linda) Mellema.
He was born in Allegan County near Holland, Mich., on Sept. 30, 1927, to Peter and Hattie (Brummel) Mulder. He attended locak country school and then worked on the family farm until called into service to our country in the U.S. Army during World War II.
He attended Hope Prep and then Ferris Institute, now Ferris State University. He participated in football, track, choir, debate, and interchurch student fellowship, and was president of the student council from 1954 to 1955.
On Sept. 10, 1955, he married his Ferris Institute sweetheart, Joan Lorraine Tryon, in St. Louis, Mich.
He was preceded in death by two brothers, Harold Mulder and Elmer “Bob” Mulder.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Joan Mulder; two sons, Paul (Melanie) Mulder of Barryton, Mich., and James (fiancee, Laura) Mulder of St. Louis; a daughter, Carol (fiance, Mark) Mulder of Cross Village, Mich.; his brothers, Earl (Josephine) Mulder of Zeeland, Mich., and Arthur (Esther) Mulder of Holland; and two sisters, Kay Mulder of Ossineke, Mich., and Dorothy (Lester) Roark of Shelby, N.C.
He formerly resided in Claverack, N.Y.
He was a veteran who taught mathematics for the U.S. Air Force.
In 1985 he retired from Hudson (N.Y.) High School, where he had taught for 30 years.
Survivors include his wife, Joan; his daughter, Lynn Mull Long; and his brother Charles Mull of Brunswick, Maine.
He was born on Dec. 15, 1933, in Chicago.
He was a member of the faculty of the Department of Communication at Hope from 1975 until his retirement in 2000 as the Guy Vander Jagt Professor Emeritus of Communication. He developed the classroom program of cable broadcasting that gave Hope students on-the-air experience in television production for more than 20 years. The Theodore L. Nielsen Award in Communication is presented annually to the student who represents the best television news practice and judgment.
Prior to Hope, he taught at the University of Massachusetts, The Ohio State University and the University of Michigan. He also worked in radio or television from 1953 to 1967, and won the Peabody Award in Education Broadcasting in 1958 for his work as director with Fred Rogers at WQED in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Since retirement he had volunteered at the Holland (Mich.) Museum as a docent and a photographer. Ted's interests were wide ranging beyond his work. He loved the music of Mozart and Mahler, the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, the plays of Shakespeare and Chekhov, and the paintings of Van Gogh and Hopper. He enjoyed travel, great food, and good wine. Ted was a sports fan, Cubs and Tigers baseball and U. of M. football especially. His bassett hounds, most of them rescued dogs, were always welcome companions.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Theodore J. and Esther Nielsen; his sister, Sue Villanderer; and his brother, Alan Nielsen.
Survivors include his wife, Joyce Nielsen, who worked in Hope’s Van Wylen Library from 1977 until her retirement in 2003; his daughter, Elizabeth (James) DeWilde of Holland; his son, Dale (Janice) Nielsen of Amherst, Mass.; one granddaughter; his sister, Jean Lehman of Galena, Ill.; and his brother, Glenn (Margaret) Nielsen of MacFarland, Wis.
She was preceded in death by her husband, John Peeks, in 1998, and a son-in-law, Roger Gunneman, in 2008.
She was a member of East Saugatuck Christian Reformed Church.
Survivors include her children, Carol Gunneman of Holland, Mich., and Roger (Patti) Peeks of Holland; five grandchildren, including Anita Gunneman ’86 (Mark) Tuneff of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Jennifer Peeks ’02 of Bethel, Alaska; five great-grandchildren; her brother, Vernon (Florence) Freye of Holland; and her sister-in-law, Frances Peeks of Holland.
After graduating from Hope, she achieved a master’s degree in mathematics from Harvard University.
She taught high school math for several years in the Interboro school system outside Philadelphia, Pa.
After moving back to Michigan, she went on to be one of the first female executives at Kellogg’s as the director of market research. She later moved to Chicago, Ill., and worked for Nielson Clearing House as the senior vice president of marketing. She also worked for many years for A.C. Nielson, and retired as managing director of global services at VNU.
In addition to being a successful business woman, Jane was also a loving wife, mother, and grandmother.
She is survived by her husband, Jim Perrin; her daughter and son-in-law, Anne and Daniel Paolucci; and her grand-daughter, Jane Paolucci.
She was the daughter of John and Catherine Monsma.
She brightened the many lives whe touched through teaching at Eckerd College, Grand Rapids Junior College, East Grand Rapids High School (where she taught English for many happy years), and Mayflower Congregational Church.
She will be remembered for her strong faith, love of reading and devotion to her family. She was preceded in death by her brothers, Jack and Larry, and her sister, Marie.
Survivors include her husband, Stuart Post; her daughter, Kathryn Rosenthal of Las Cruces, N.M.; her sons, Steven Post of Adairsville, Ga., and James Post of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and one grandson.
He was preceded in death by a sister, Jan Rottschafer ’57 Bos.
Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Rottschafer; his children John (Bernie) Rottschafer, Jared (Dale) Rottschafer, Meredith (Eric) Schupp, and Michael Merrell; and six grandchildren.
He was born on Sept. 20, 1920, in Lima, Wis., the son of Walter and Mabel (DeBruine) Sandee. He graduated from Oostburg High School in 1937.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II from 1941 to 1945.
He graduated from Hope and from Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Mich.
He married Elvira TenHaken on May 29, 1944, in Gibbsville, Wis.
He was an ordained minister in the Reformed Church in America for 35 years, serving congregations in Monroe, S.D.; Alton, Iowa; Alto and Clinton, Wis.; Abbotsford, B.C., Canada; and Kings, Ill. He retired in 1985.
He was a member of the First Reformed Church in Oostburg, Wis., where he was a Sunday school teacher and member of the Young at Heart.
He was also a member of the American Legion Post in Oostburg, Oostburg Kiwanis, and Oostburg Senior Citizens, and was a volunteer for Meals on Wheels.
He enjoyed woodworking, gardening, golf, computers, photography, fishing, camping, and building radios. Earlier, he was a ham radio operator.
He was preceded in death by two sisters, Marian Sandee ’44 (Norman) Tenpas and Dorothy Plopper; one brother, Roger Sandee; and three brothers-in-law, Keith Bruggink, Glenn Beernink, and Ervin TenHaken.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Elvira Sandee; one daughter, Judy (Nick) Kuzulka; three sons, Robert (Sherry) Sandeeof Beloit, Wis., Timothy (Marjorie) Sandee of Madison, Wis., and Mark (Debbie) Sandee of Gaithersburg, Md.; nine grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; one sister, Delores Bruggink of Cedar Grove, Wis.; one brother, Wayne (Carol) Sandee of Mankato, Minn.; and two foster children, Jeffrey Loney and Pam (Dave) Stevens.
She was born the daughter of Frank and Grace (Janzen) Snuttjer in George, Iowa, on Aug. 27, 1942.
She graduated from Central College in Pella, Iowa, in 1964.
She worked as a longtime director of Christian education of Third Reformed Church in Holland, and since 1997 as office manager and editorial assistant at Hope’s Van Raalte Institute. She was editor and co-author with Dr. Elton Bruins ’50 of Albertus and Christina: The Van Raalte Family, Home and Roots.
She was a former member of Third Reformed Church of Holland and currently a member of All Saints’ Episcopal Church of Saugatuck.
She was preceded in death by her grandson, Alex Hoffman, in 1998, and by a brother-in-law, Robert Block.
Survivors include her husband fo 45 years, Peter Schakel, who is The Peter C. and Emajean Cook Professor of English at Hope; her daughter, Jennifer Schakel ’89 (Timothy ’86) Hoffman of Holland; her son, Jonathan Schakel ’94 (Megan Sharp) of Charlottesville, Va.; four grandchildren; her mother, Grace Snuttjer; her sisters, Lavina Block, Lois (Bruce) Lombard, and Mary (Fred) Schaa; her brother, David (Kathi) Snuttjer; and her sisters-in-law, Martha (James) Hayward and Mary (Charles) Benson.
He was born April 3, 1922, to Nicholas and Jennie (Rosendahl) Schregardus in Holland, Mich.
He was a veteran who served as a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army in the Philippines during World War II.
He graduated from Holland High School and then attended Davenport College, the University of Grand Rapids (Aquinas), the Citadel, Hope, N.Y.U. at Buffalo, Northern Michigan University and Michigan State University. He earned a master’s degree plus thirty hours in mathematics at Buffalo and in education at Michigan State.
He taught at Muskegon Heights High School from 1949 to 1968, becoming assistant principal. He then tuaght at Mona Shores High School until he retired in 1985. He also taught classes at Muskegon Community College and Baker College.
On Aug. 11, 1950, he married Shirley Wierda, who survives.
He was a longtime member of Covenant Community Church, where he served as a youth group leader, elder, deacon, treasurer, clerk, and Sunday school supervisor.
He enjoyed golf and tennis for many years and bowled on the Red Triangle League.
Above all, he loved the Lord and his family.
He was preceded in death by a brother, Arthur Schregardus, and a sister, Nellie Joostberns.
Survivors in addition to his wife of 59 years, Shirley Schregardus, include three daughters, Kathy (Russ) Smiley of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., Karen (Stephen) Bruining of Spring Lake, Mich., and Barbara (Jeff) Griffith of Charlotte, N.C.; seven grandchildren; one great-grandson; and his sister, Lucille Doorn of Grand Rapids.
She was born on Dec. 25, 1916, in Holland, Mich., to Jacob Nelson and Jacquelena Dykhuis Lievense.
She married George Westbrook Svoboda on May 8, 1942, in Stateburg, S.C. He preceded her in death on Aug. 12, 1987.
She attended Hope and the Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago, Ill.
She was a registered nurse and a homemaker.
Survivors include her daughter, Sue Svoboda of Lake Oswego, Ore.; three sons, Rex Svoboda of Missoula, Mont., John Svoboda of Idaho Falls, Idaho, and Jim Svoboda of Beaverton, Ore.; and five grandchildren.
She graduated from Hope with a B.A. in English and from Bronson Methodist Hospital Nursing School as an R.N.
She held a variety of nursing jobs, including pediatrics nursing, college health nursing at Hope and psychiatric nursing. She retired from working at the Ottawa County Health Department.
She attended All Saints Episcopal Church in Saugatuck, Mich.
She was preceded in death by her parents, John and Adriana Lam, and her mother-in-law, Elizabeth Ter Beek.
Survivors include her husband of 43 years, Bruce Ter Beek ’64; two daughters Ann (Rusty) Brand of Eau Claire, Wis., and Sara Jo TerBeek ’95 of Holland; two grandchildren; two brothers, Roger (Gloria) Lam and Jerry Lam, all of Grand Rapids, Mich.; her sister, Judith (Noel) Daniels of Phoenix, Ariz.; and her father-in-law, Raymond Ter Beek of Holland.
He was born in Melvin, Iowa, to Steve and Grace Topp.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
He was a teacher in the Hamilton (Mich.) School District for many years.
Survivors include his wife, Alida Hibma ’49 Topp; his children, Beth Topp of Grand Rapids, Mich., Stephanie (Robert) Kazma of Hudsonville, Mich., Calvin (Lori) Topp of Hamilton, James (Michelle) Topp of Holland, Mich., and Kerwin (Melissa) Topp of Hamilton; 11 grandchildren; and a sister, Alida De Bondt.
She was very involved as president of the Junior League and a volunteer for the Children’s Miracle Network and Butterworth Hospital.
She served on the Hope College Board of Trustees from 1980 to 1988, was a member of the college’s Second Century Club, and worked on the Hope in the Future campaign. She and her husband, Fredrick Vandenberg ’53, who preceded her in death in 2006, established the Vandenberg Scholarship Fund at Hope.
Survivors include her daughters, Jan Vandenberg ’79 (Robert) Aardema and Wendy (Ken) Yerkes; four grandchildren, including Christina Aardema ’13; and her brothers, Fred ’52 (Jewel) Yonkman and John (Tommy) Yonkman.
She was born June 24, 1952, in Muskegon, Mich., to John and Eleanor “Chris” (Christiansen) Vandervelde. They preceded her in death. She spent her childhood in Muskegon and graduatd from Mona Shores High School in 1970. She attended Arizona State University and earned a B.A. from Hope.
She taught at Midland (Mich.) High School for eight years while attending Cooley Law School. In 1986 she moved to Holland to begin a law practice. She had also been a part-time lecturer in the department of political science at Hope from 2000 to 2008.
She married Donald Stoltz ’57 on May 24, 1997. He survives.
She was instrumental in establishing the Holland Teen Court and was a former member of the Holland Rotary Club.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Eleanor “Chris” and John Vandervelde.
Survivors in addition to her husband include her brother, William (Anne) Vandervelde of Fruitport, Mich.
She was born in Holland, the daughter of Herman and Elizabeth Wieten, and graduated from Holland High School and Hope.
She played a key role in the revitalization of the Holland’s Dutch dance tradition. Arkie, Connie Hinga ’49 Boersma, Muncie VandeWege ’49 Boeve and Peggy Prins ’49 DeHaan formed part of a small group of girls who learned the Dutch dances in the eighth grade and brought the Dutch dance back to Holland in 1946 as freshman Hope students. The group traveled to places such as New York City, Chicago, Ill., and Indiana, performing Dutch dances while they were in college. They were also the main act at the Chicagoland Music Festival one year, dancing at Solkier Field.
She worked as a copy editor and writer for the Holland Sentinel for many years.
She was a former president of the Junior League of Holland.
Survivors include her husband of 61 years, Carl Van Raalte ’50; her children, Christine Van Raalte (Jeffrey Smith), Carl Van Raalte, and Jon (Samantha) Van Raalte; and four grandchildren.
He will be remembered as one of the most broadly creative chemists of his time. Best known for the biologically-inspired syntheses of complex natural substances, van Tamelen made seminal contributions that bridged chemical disciplines, connecting organic chemistry with inorganic, physical and biological chemistry. He was a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the long-time and founding editor of the journal Bioorganic Chemistry, and named one of the 20th Century's best scientists by England's International Biographical Centre.
Gene van Tamelen was born in 1925 in Zeeland,Mich. From woodworker forbears he thought he inherited his gift for spatial thinking, as well as a lifelong love of the applied arts. He wanted to design automobiles when he enrolled at Hope College in nearby Holland, Michigan, but when he took organic chemistry and experienced three-dimensional [N S C] space at the molecular level, he found his career.
One of van Tamelen's proudest accomplishments was being the first Hope College student to publish original research in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. The journal was the world's most prestigious chemistry publication, “The Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS),” and “The Malonic Ester Reaction with 1-Halo-nitroparaffins” was but the first of scores of JACS papers he authored.
Van Tamelen graduated from Hope College in 1947, received a Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1950, and joined the University of Wisconsin's chemistry faculty that year. He quickly rose to full professor and was Wisconsin's Homer Adkins Professor of Chemistry at the time of his move to Stanford University in 1962. He chaired Stanford's chemistry department for several terms.
He published over two hundred papers in leading scientific journals, and his numerous honors include two honorary doctorates and some of the most coveted American Chemical Society awards: the Award in Pure Chemistry (1961), the Leo Hendrik Baekeleand Award (1975), and the Award for Synthetic Organic Chemistry (1970). At Wisconsin and Stanford he supervised the research of more than two hundred doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows, many of whom followed him into distinguished academic careers. 'Gene' to his friends, his students and chemists around the world referred to him as "vT."
Van Tamelen lectured all over the world and loved to travel, so he especially appreciated awards, like the Guggenheim Fellowship, that took him abroad. A Haight Traveling Research Fellowship put him in the lab of Sir Alexander Todd at the University of Cambridge in 1957, the year Todd received the Nobel Prize. Van Tamelen explored his Dutch heritage in 1967 on a royal appointment, from the Netherlands' Queen Juliana, as University of Groningen Professor Extraordinarious.
Van Tamelen’s virtuoso syntheses of complex, naturally occurring molecules commenced at Harvard under the guidance of Professor Gilbert Stork, now emeritus at Columbia University.
Professor Stork writes, “Gene van Tamelen was one of the first graduate students to join my group at the beginning of my academic career, way back in 1947. He was most unusual, having already co-authored several papers as an undergraduate. He was fascinated by natural products, particularly the pigments of tulips, a specific enthusiasm which was quite understandable given his family name and where he grew up. Gene was a major contributor to our total synthesis of cantharidin (published 1951), sometimes considered the first stereorational synthesis of a natural product. Gene's own academic career was marked by numerous signal achievements, ranging impressively from history-making total syntheses, both of natural products, such as the first ones of the hallucinogenic alkaloid yohimbine and the antimitotic colchicine, or of 'unnatural' ones, such as the first synthesis of the theoretically important ‘Dewar benzene,’ a highly strained isomer of the common solvent benzene that many chemists considered impossible to make. Van Tamelen will also long be remembered for his major contributions to the biogenesis, as well as the laboratory construction, of polycyclic systems like steroids.”
Van Tamelen was the first to recognize that squalene oxide was a key intermediate in the biochemical pathway leading to cholesterol and steroid hormones. He then conducted research to elucidate details of the remarkable cyclization reaction that linear squalene oxide undergoes biochemically to produce the tetracyclic cholesterol.
His style was distinctive: he liked being different and being first, and the problems he worked on had to be big ones. He was an intuitive thinker and a quick study who could “graze” the chem library's disparate journals and come up with the novel connections that propelled his cross-disciplinary chemical investigations.
Van Tamelen was part of a critical mass that transformed chemistry at Stanford into one of the world's most highly rated departments. After Professor William S. Johnson arrived in 1960, he made a series of remarkable senior appointments. In 1962, he attracted van Tamelen, his successor at Wisconsin as Adkins Professor. Along with Prof Carl Djerassi, the three were the nucleus of a powerful organic chemistry group that attracted spectacular graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
John Brauman, an Assistant Professor at the time, remembers van Tamelen as “an exceptional intellect, with an extraordinary imagination. He was constantly inventing both new reactions and new approaches to interesting molecules. At the same time, he gave his students a great deal of freedom in their work so they were able to develop scientifically to their maximum potential.”
K. Barry Sharpless, professor at The Scripps Research Institute and a Nobel Laureate, recalls being one of those early members of the van Tamelen group at Stanford. “We were so proud to be his students, to be in a lab where four or five different, exciting problems were simultaneously under investigation.”
Van Tamelen was in demand all over the world, and his students often had weeks of results to present when he returned from a trip. “I was always amazed,” Sharpless said, “because vT could take in so much information and then just nail what mattered faster and better than anyone I've ever known. Sometimes he didn't see enough that mattered, and would just ask, ‘Why?’” Back when he was a Harvard graduate student, van Tamelen made summer visits to the Holland, Michigan, campus of Hope College to complete work on research projects he initiated there with his undergraduate mentor and research collaborator, Professor Gerrit Van Zyl.
During a return visit in 1949, van Tamelen met a young woman in a soda shop who said if he wanted someone interesting to talk to, he should meet her sister Mary, because Mary was as smart as he was. He did meet Mary Houtman ’52, and married her in 1958.
When Van Tamelen moved to Madison in 1950, the same proclivity for thinking in 3-D that contributed to his passion for chemistry turned on a passion for what became his lifelong avocation. Wisconsin is Frank Lloyd Wright country--Wright was born there in 1867 and lived and worked west of Madison in Spring Green for most of his long life. Mary van Tamelen recalls her husband's excitement upon discovering the pleasures of architecture after first seeing Wright-designed houses.
Wright was almost 90 when he came across prefabricated homes manufactured by Erdman Prefabs. Wright offered to produce some designs for Erdman, which he did in 1956.
Frank Lloyd Wright prefab design #1 was built by Erdman as a spec house that year, and the van Tamelens purchased it. The Eugene van Tamelen House, as it will forever be known, is on Anchorage Road in Madison.
Not long after moving to Stanford in 1962, the van Tamelens bought property in Portola Valley and hired The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation to design a house. But while Gene van Tamelen was on his way to Taliesen West in Arizona to pick up the first set of plans, he saw an ad for a "Wright" house for sale in Los Altos Hills, which they purchased. In fact, the house was designed by Aaron Green, a Wright student who worked with him on the Marin Civic Center.
Ever adventurous and ever confident, Gene van Tamelen tried his own hand at architecture. First he designed a vacation home in Pajaro Dunes, south of Stanford on the coast near Watsonville. Next he designed, and built, an open-air house on the tropical island of St. Lucia, where friends and family spent enchanted vacations, connecting with Caribbean life.
The boy from the Motor State who wanted to design cars that made you say “Wow!” became a man who owned them. He drove an Excalibur, then a Rolls, and enjoyed the fellowship of the Rolls Royce Owners Club.
In retirement he kept traveling, but to exciting destinations now, not the world's chemistry departments. He also enjoyed just sitting and thinking—something he thought was missing from most people’s lives. He was deeply interested in cosmology, and “Contemplating Nature” was probably his favorite activity of all.
Hope College awarded him an honorary Sc.D. degree in 1970. For many years Gene and his wife, Mary Houtman ’52 van Tamelen, funded the Gene van Tamelen Prize for Creativity in the Sciences and the Mary van Tamelen Prize for Creativity in the Arts to recognize extraordinary creativity. The Gene and Mary van Tamelen Plaza on campus in front of the Haworth Conference Center is named in recognition of the couple’s support of the college. “Contemplation,” a life-size figural bronze sculpture was donated to Hope College and installed in van Tamelen Plaza in 2000. The work depicts a young woman, seated on a bench with a book in her lap, engaged in reflection. The artist and donor is Billie Houtman Clark, the woman in the soda shop who had encouraged Gene van Tamelen to meet her sister Mary.
Survivors in addition to his wife, Mary, include three children, Jane van Tamelen, Carey Haughy, and Peter van Tamelen; and five grandchildren.
She retired from work at Import Motors.
Her later activities included volunteering at Calvin Christian Reformed Church and C.R.W.R.C.
She was preceded in death by a sister and a brother, Harriet Laman ’36 and Thomas Laman ’37.
Survivors include her husband of 68 years, Alvin Vegter ’39; her children, Albert (Jeanne) Vegter and Gretchen Bush; five grandchildren; one great-grandson; and a brother and sister, David Laman ’36 and Pearl Laman ’42 Eadie.
She was born Nov. 11, 1912, in Oak Park, Ill., to Dr. and Mrs. Paul Wezeman. The eldest of eight children, she was the last surviving sibling of Peter, Fred, Eleanor, Leonard ’45, Janet, Marie and Nell Wezeman Thornbury ’46.
She earned a master’s degree from the University of Denver.
She was an elementary-school teacher in Northbrook, Ill. After moving to California, she taught at the Laurel Ruff School and later became supervisor of the Arden-Carmichael School District.
She was recognized by the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors for 18 years of service as a literacy tutor and by AAUW for 50 years of membership as a creative writer, and she was a longtime member of the California Writers Club. She was a charter docent of the Sacramento History Museum and a music volunteer for 10 years at the Robertson Senior Center. Recently she was involved with Macular Friends as a support group, Friends of the Library, California Retired Teachers Association, and the Florin Mall Walkers, with whom she logged more than 4,500 miles.
As an active member of the Unitarian Universalist Society of Sacramento for more than 50 years, she served in many capacities, including that of former president of the UUSS Women’s Alliance.
She was an extreme optimist and her positive outlook on life contributed to her longevity. Her life was an inspiration to family and friends alike.
She was married to Charles Watters for 46 years.
Survivors include two sons, Charlie Watters and John Watters.
He was born to Frank and Martha Weener in Holland on Nov. 18, 1923. He attended Beechwood School and Holland High School.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Army, including a tour in Europe.
He married Marcia Bouman on July 25, 1944.
He worked for Holland Color, which later became BASF, as a research chemist until he retired in 1987.
He loved working with wood and built his home and cottage and made furniture and treasures for family members. He loved music and singing for weddings, funerals and other special occasions in the Holland area. He was a member of the Magnachords and Holland Chorale.
He and Marcia traveled extensively throughout the U.S., Europe, South Africa and Mozambique.
He was preceded in death by his brothers, Bob Weener and Jay Weener ’49, and a sister, Myrtle Goodin.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Marcia Weener; his sons, Earl (Linda) Weener of Oregon, Ron (Barbara) Wayner of the Republic of South Africa, Alan (Persis Faasen) Weener of Michigan, and Carl (Cherrie) Weener of Zeeland, Mich.; his daughters, Janice Weener (Craig) Poole of New Hampshire, and Mary Weener (Tom) Meek of England; 13 grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and brothers- and sisters-in-law, Mrs. Norman (Elizabeth) Allen, Mrs. Bob (June) Weener, and Mrs. Jay (Jean) Weener, all of Holland, Cornie and Marie Bouman of Paris, Mich., and Charles Bouman of New Jersey.
She was born on Jan. 31, 1928, in the Bronx, N.Y., to William and Elsa Hanna. She grew up in the Bronx and in Linwood, N.J.
She excelled in foreign languages and pursued her passion to teach--a calling she embraced at the age of 12.
During her 44-year career in education, she taught in Michigan and Wyoming and in two Bakersfield high schools, Arvin and North.
In 1952 she attended the Olympic Games in Helsinki, Finland. During the track and field events, she met Charles G. Weinmann and a romance ensued, lasting more than 50 years. They married in 1954.
In 1960 during the Billy Graham crusade held in Fresno, Calif., she made a life-changing decision to follow Jesus. This was the focus she had been seeking. Her greatest hope was to reach people with the message of Jesus. This began with her children and extended to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She mentored many others and continued her dynamic and unique impact on people throughout her life.
She was preceded in death by her husband of more than 50 years, Charles Weinmann.
Survivors include her three sons, Cregg (Cheryl), Jon (Suzi), and Charles (Jayne); eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by two grandchildren.
He graduated from Holland High School.
He worked as the parts and service manager for Bob De Nooyer Chevrolet for 35 years.
He was a charter member of the Holland Jaycees and past president of the Holland Bowling Association.
He had been a member of the Bethel Reformed Church Choir for 55 years, and was currently a member of Trinity Reformed Church.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Doris Welling; his children, Debbie (Michael) Janicik of Fair Oaks, Calif., Tom (Mary) Welling of Holland, and Penny Sue (Scott) Faustyn of Okemos, Mich.; seven grandchildren; one great-granddaughter; his brother, Earl ’60 (Arlene) Welling of Holland; his sister, Arlene (Marvin) Vanden Bosch of Holland; and in-laws, John and Betty Kole of Lawton, Mich.
He was born on Dec. 27, 1925, in Kenosha, Wis., to the late Lawrence and Lucille Williams, and graduated from Holland High School.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II, flying in missions based in Tinian with the Sixth Bomb Group, 3916 Squadron. He flew 31 missions over Japan in “Forever Amber” and received the Distinguished Flying Cross.
On Aug. 27, 1949, he married Mary (Betty) Decker. She preceded him in death after 53 years of marriage.
He was a professional engineer and operated his own consulting business in Kenosha, Wis., and Phoenix.
He was a life-long fan of the Green Bay Packers and enjoyed spending time outdoors hunting and fishing. He was a member of the Cholla Bay Sportsmans Club and spent many weekends fishing in Rocky Pointe, Mexico.
Will enjoyed life to its fullest and had a heart of gold.
Survivors include his daughters, Linda (Mark) Jena of Racine, Wis., Sue (James) Obertin of Chandler, Ariz., and Jane (Del) Smith of Phoenix; his sons, Larry Williams of Kenosha, Michael (Claudia) Williams of Clinton, Mont., and James (Beth) Williams of Missoula, Mont.; seven grandchildren; his sister, Marguerite (William) Hatfield of Sarasota, Fla.; and brothers-in-law, Eugene Decker of Kenosha, Wis., and Donald (Michelle) Decker of Anchorage, Alaska.
He was born in Chicago, Ill., on May 6, 1917. He spent his boyhood in Holland, Mich., and graduated from Holland High School in 1935.
While attending Hope, he was a sports writer for the Holland Evening Sentinel and for the United Press. He later worked for the Adrian Daily Telegram in Adrian, Mich.
He was training at the Great Lakes station in the U.S. Navy when Pearl Harbor was bombed. He subsequently served with the U.S. Marine Corps as a navigation instructor in Quantico, Va., and later as a navigator with Marine transport squadron in the Solomon Islands and in China.
In 1946 he joined Pure Oil’s sales promotion department in Chicago, working in a number of assignments in promotion and merchandising, including negotiating the original sponsorship agreement with NASCAR Racing and Pure. He was TBA manager when the company was sold to Union 76. He retired from Unocal in 1976.
Bob and his wife, Bettie, and daughter, Nancy, lived for many years in Northbrook, Ill. While there he was a member of the Village Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Pure Oil group of the Chicago Junior Chamber of Commerce and Chicago Federated Advertising Club. For a number of years he was active in the International Oil Industry TBA group and was chairman for the central section at retirement.
He was an active member of the Tryon Presbyterian Church choir. He was an honorary member of the Tryon Golf Club and past board member of Morgan Chapel Village.
The family moved to Columbus in 1982, a move somewhat influenced by his relationship during college days with Carter Brown, who owned the resort inn at Castle Park and who also founded the Pine Crest Inn in Tryon. Austin Brown, Carter Brown’s son, was one of the kids who were often under Bob’s care during summer days for families who lived at Castle Park.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Bettie Wishmeier.
Survivors include his daughter, Nancy Wishmeier.
He was born Feb. 17, 1936, in Oak Park, Ill., to George and Alice (Wiersma) Woltman.
He worked in the insurance industry and opened Woltman Insurance Agency in Benton Harbor in 1963. In 2003 he merged with Insurance Management Co., where he worked as an agent until his retirement in 2008, and continued to work occasionally after retiring.
He was a member of Fairplain Presbyterian Church, Benton Harbor-St. Joseph Exchange Club and Tail Draggers Flying Club. He served on the Benton Township Assessment Board and for 20 years on the Benton Harbor School Board. He enjoyed helping others in any way he was able to, and he enjoyed tinkering with and fixing his car and other things around the house.
He was preceded in death by his brother, Roger Woltman ’61, in 2005.
Survivors include his children, Jane (Mark) McDaniels of Benton Harbor, Tom (Jackie) Woltman of Benton Harbor, and Chuck Woltman of St. Joseph, Mich.; four grandchildren; and his sister Karen Woltman ’63 (John) Caldwell of Lilburn, Ga.
He was born June 25, 1936, in Grand Rapids, Mich., the son of John and Josephine (De Haan) Wyma. He grew up in Grand Haven, Mich., and graduated from Grand Haven High School.
After earning a doctorate in chemistry at the University of Michigan in 1964, he taught at Geneva College and then at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis from 1969 until retiring in 2000.
Richard and his wife, Janice, moved to Zeeland in 2004. He was a member of Third Christian Reformed Church of Zeeland.
Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Janice Dirkse Wyma; his children, Bruce (Cheryl) Wyma, Keith (Tanya) Wyma, and Jonathan Wyma; six grandchildren; his brother, David Wyma ’62; and in-laws, Ronald and Miki Dirkse and Floyd Reimink.