|hope college > public relations|
June 2010 Obituaries
Walter W. Ambler '42 (1/28/10)
Harold Banger '44 (12/9/09)
Dorothy Boot '48 Barense (4/3/10)
Jack O. Boerigter '54 (3/3/10)
Dorothy Kranendonk '50 Bosch (2/20/10)
Virginia Ellison '40 Boswell (4/8/10)
William Brace '50 (6/18/09)
Lois DePree '34 Chapman (4/26/10)
Colleen Conway (4/9/10)
Berns W. Cook (Koekoek) (12/27/09)
Douglas A. De Boer '79 (3/31/10)
James A. Dykema '51 (3/25/10)
Kathleen Hagstrom '51 Haight (5/7/10)
Elizabeth Cookman '51 Hill (2/9/10)
Louise Essenberg '42 Holler (2/27/10)
W. Gardner Kissack '59 (2/3/10)
Ronald L. Kolkman '53 (3/26/10)
Todd A. Korell '88 (3/13/10)
Earle Kropscott '35 (2/9/10)
Mildred Baron '38 Kropscott (11/20/09)
Glenn Kruithof '70 (2/8/10)
Brian C. Laman '86 (4/22/10)
Kevin J. Laninga (8/23/08)
Maurice C. Laug '45 (2/15/10)
Charles Louch (5/16/09)
Alma Vanderbeek '40 Miller (2/9/10)
Julia Morrison (4/8/10)
Greg Motheral '82 (2/27/10)
Harrison Overocker '58 (12/21/09)
Jane Benedict '70 Perrin (1/24/10)
Laurie Laman-Burke '75 Roberts (4/30/10)
Richard W. Saxon '51 (9/21/09)
Marion "Mike" Schroeder '50 (1/3/10)
Marilyn Barkel '52 Sligh (3/14/10)
John M. Smith '49 (3/20/10)
Louis G. Smith '57 (10/4/09)
Elaine Scholten '45 Stephan (2/28/10)
Arlene Rosendahl '42 Suzenaar (3/27/10)
Bert W. Swanson '59 (3/17/10)
Calvin W. Swart '50 (9/22/09)
Martin J. Timmer '39 (3/4/10)
Margaret Oppenhuizen '62 Turpin (1/18/10)
Harold E. Van Domelen '38 (2/14/10)
Sadie (Syd) MacGregor '43 VanDragt (2/23/10)
Henry J. Vermeer '37 (1/24/10)
Howard G. Voss '57 (3/29/10)
Glenn M. Walters '46 (4/18/10)
Shirley Kimball '51 Weeber (2/26/10)
Donald K. Williams '61 (3/4/10)
John M. (Jack) Wilson (6/3/10)
He was born in New Brunswick, N.J., in November of 1920, the son of Walter and Lillian Wade Ambler. He grew up in Highland Park, N.J., and attended local schools.
After attending Hope and Rutgers University, he graduated from the dental school at the University of Pennsylvania in 1952.
He practiced dentistry in Highland Park for 30 years.
He was a veteran who served in the Signal Corps in the China/Burma/India Theater during World War II.
He married Roberta Connors of Highland Park in 1950. They lived in Edison, N.J., for 42 years before moving to Arbor Glen at Bridgewater in 1997 and to Rossmoor in Monroe Township in 2005.
He was a member and elder at First Presbyterian Church in Metuchen, and more recently a member of Rossmoor Community Church.
As a volunteer, he gave generously of his time to AARP, Meals on Wheels, Literacy Volunteers of Middlesex, and the American Cancer Society, for which he was a driver.
His pastimes included classical guitar, tennis, traveling, planning group tours, and listening to his favorite classical radio station.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Roberta Ambler; three children, Barbara (Glenn) Killinger of Simpsonville, S.C., Nancy (Art) Walter of South Plainfield, N.J., and David (Lola) Ambler of Barcelona, Spain; eight grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and his brother, Donald (Jane) Ambler, of Sebec, Maine.
He was born on April 8, 1922, in Holland, Mich., to Henry and Clara Garvelink Banger.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Army.
He was an active member of Memorial Church of Christ.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marian Banger.
Survivors include his children, Janice (Bill) Desmond, Bob (Jill) Banger, Sharon Banger (Don Christiansen); two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
She studied biology while attending Hope.
She was preceded in death by her husband, William Barense ’50.
Survivors include her children, Lisa Barense, Barbara Barense Derda, and William Barense Jr.
He was born on March 31, 1926, in Holland, Mich. His parents, Edward and Julia Boeve Boerigter, raised two sets of sons, of which Jack was the oldest. Jack was educated in the Holland Public Schools and immediately upon his high school graduation enlisted in the armed services. Jack had aspirations of becoming an Air Force pilot but circumstances did not allow for that and he was assigned to the Army Air Forces as a light truck driver after World War II. Due to health issues he was honorably discharged in May 1946.
Following his discharge he returned to Holland and enrolled at Hope College.
On June 6, 1947, he was united in marriage with Mildred Kaat and to that union three children were born: Robert Jack, Barbara Jo and Jan Louise. Jack dropped out of college after he started his family and was involved in a number of business endeavors including farming and appliance sales with his father. He eventually returned to college and graduated from Hope in 1954 and from Western Theological Seminary in Holland as a non-traditional seminary student in 1957.
He faithfully served as the senior pastor in Reformed Church of America congregations in Kalamazoo, Mich., Oostburg, Wis., Sioux Center Iowa, DeMotte, Ind., and Pella, Iowa. As part of his ministry for 40 years he served for many years on the General Program Council of the Reformed Church of America. In addition he was a former member of the Board of Trustees of Northwestern College at Orange City, Iowa, and Central College in Pella, Iowa.
Jack married Delores (Van Vark) Vande Noord on February 14, 1985. They made their residences in Waseca, Minn., and Reddick, Fla., and recently celebrated 25 happy years of married life together.
Prior to his full-time retirement, Jack served some years as a professional fundraiser, including development work with the University of Minnesota-Waseca.
He and Delores attended the First Congregational Church when residing at Waseca. While spending winters in Florida, he served for many years as the preaching pastor of the Deer Creek Camper’s Church in Davenport, Fla., where his weekly sermons and singing were an inspiration to many. Besides the ministry, he and Delores, had an avid interest in Belgian horses. Together they owned and showed Belgian horses beginning in 1986, and operated “A Touch of Country Class Boutique” on their farm near Waseca until the present time.
Survivors include his wife, Delores Boerigter; his three children, Robert (Mary) Boerigter of Maryville, Mo., Barbara (David) Schutt of Ripon, Claif., and Jan (Verl) Van Riessen of DeMotte, Ind.; six grandchildren; and three brothers, Paul ’50 (Doris) Boerigter, David ’59 (Barbara) Boerigter, and George ’61 (Sibilla) Boerigter.
Born Dorothy Mae Kranendonk in 1928 on a farm outside Oostburg, Wis., she began her education in a nearby one-room schoolhouse, reading every available book, and she completed high school in Oostburg. She she graduated summa cum laude from Hope, majoring in biology. She continued her education at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, earning a master’s degree in zoology.
While both were singing in the choir at Presbyterian House, she met her future husband, Arthur, who was also in graduate school. They were married on August 29, 1952.
Dorothy was a cancer researcher at the McArdle Laboratory in Madison while Arthur completed his studies. They spent two years in Germany, which launched a life of national and international travels together. Highlights included a round-the-world trip visiting India and Australia, and frequent visits to relatives in the Netherlands.
Dorothy and Arthur moved to Pella in 1958, joining Central College where she became a professor of biology and developmental reading. Taking their children along for the adventures, they taught for a year in Taiwan and several terms in Mexico. Dorothy was an active member of the Second Reformed Church, where she served as both a deacon and an elder, and sang in the choir. She loved to cook, play bridge, garden and read.
She was preceded in death by her sister Nancy.
Survivors include her husband of 57 years, Arthur Bosch; her sister, Jean, of Sheboygan, Falls, Wis.; her brother, Donald of Jupiter, Fla.; her four children, Robert of Madison, Wis., Barbara of Plymouth, Mich., Ronald of Boston, Mass., and Rebecca of Libertyville, Ill.; and six grandchildren.
She was born on Jan. 6, 1919.
She earned a master’s degree from Wayne State University.
For more than 40 years, she was a teacher and counselor, primarily at Redford Union High School in Redford, Mich., retiring in 1980. She was well loved by her students and fellow staff, receiving recognition from the Michigan House of Representatives in 1980 as a “Distinguished Educator.”
She married James Boswell in 1946. They were married for 63 years before he preceded her in death in 2009.
She was a life-long avid bridge player and a docent at Kresge Art Museum after she retired.
Survivors include her sister-in-law, Shirley Boswell.
She was born in Foochow, China, on Sept. 15, 1911, to Henry Peter and Kate (Everhard) DePree, missionaries of the Dutch Reformed Church. She received her early education from her mother, and later attended the boarding school Shanghai American School, where she graduated from high school in 1929.
She relocated to the U.S. and graduated from Hope.
She worked for a year and a half as an elementary teacher in the Reformed Church Mission at Gray Hawk, Ky., taught a half year in Zeeland, Mich., and then taught in the Holland Public Schools.
In 1938 she married Lloyd Chapman ’35.
She taught in the Kalamazoo, Mich., schools from 1948 until 1957, when the family moved to the campus of the State Technical Institute and Rehabilitation Center at Pine Lake, Mich. She taught first grade in the Delton Public Schools for nine years, including one year at the North Pine Lake School, the last year that the one-room school was in operation. She then moved to Cooper School in the Plainwell system, where she took part for five years in a non-graded program. She retired in 1972.
She was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, the Pine Lake Helping Hand Club, and the Pipp Hospital Auxiliary.
In retirement, she volunteered for 15 years in Stroke-One-to-One at Ridgeview Manor Nursing Home and for five years as a tutor for the Kalamazoo Literacy Program.
She was a member of the Portage Senior Center Reminiscence Writing Class and enjoyed writing about her experiences in China.
She joined the First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo in 1949 and for many years was active in Sunday school.
She moved to Marquette in 2001.
She was preceded in death by her husband and by two brothers, Harold DePree ’38 and David DePree ’40; and her sister, Carol DePree.
Survivors include her son, Robert (Barbara) Chapman of Marquette; her daughter, Marilyn (Pam Porter) Chapman of Madison, Wis.; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
She joined the staff of the college’s Van Wylen Library in 1989 as head of technical services/assistant professor. She was later promoted to head of technical services/associate professor.
She was preceded in death by her father, Francis, and brother Paul.
Survivors include her mother, Delores; her brothers, Francis (Victoria), Michael (Mary), and Peter (Barb); and her sisters, Anna, Patti and Teresa.
He was the only child of Henry and Ella Koekoek, born three miles south of Brandon, Wis., at his parents’ farm on Feb. 27, 1907. He grew up speaking only Dutch until he went to kindergarten, where he spent two years until he was proficient in English. He graduated from Waupun High School in 1926.
After graduating from Hope, he earned a scholarship in chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he earned a master’s degree in 1931.
His first teaching job was at Little Wolf High School in Manawa, Wis., followed by jobs at Omro High school, South Park Junior High School in Oshkosh, Wis.
He was a veteran, drafted at age 36, who served in the U.S. Navy as a shore patrolman and police liaison during World War II. Following his military service, he returned to teach science at South Park until his retirement in 1972. He continued as a substitute teacher full time until 1978.
He married Gladys Heimke Cook on Aug. 30, 1938. After 67 years of marriage, she preceded him in death in 2006.
During the summers, he taught driver’s education, ran the boat concession at Menominee Park, and worked his on construction projects and rental properties.
During his retirement years in the southwestern states, he served for a number of winters as a National Park naturalist. He was active in the formation of the Oshkosh Educational Association (serving as secretary for eight years) as well as in the state and national education associations. He held a lifetime certificate to teach any subject in the states of Wisconsin and Michigan.
He was a member of Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church since 1946, and served as congregational financial secretary for many years. He was instrumental in the decision and the financial support to purchase the William Steiger property on Algoma Blvd. for a new church. In 1959 he was co-chairman of the construction committee and spent the summer working on the construction as the on-site project church representative to the Ben Ganther Construction Co. The sanctuary, preservation of the “old oak tree,” and the hearing-impaired listening system are the living legacies of Berns and Gladys Cook.
He was instrumental in the creation of Lutheran Homes of Oshkosh, and he served on the board from its inception through 1978. Both he and his wife spent some of the last years of their lives at Gabriel’s Villa in the care of the organization and people they helped to organize and develop.
Following their retirement, he and his wife enjoyed camping, and traveled throughout the entire United States. They finally settled into becoming winter Texans in the Rio Grande Valley, always returning to their Oshkosh home when the snow melted.
As a result of his extraordinary dedication to life and people, many in the Oshkosh area experienced the influence of his teaching, learned the value of hard work, and benefited from his support. He exemplified the “can do” attitude. He was always his own man, and was truly one of a kind. He and his wife had a breadth and depth of wisdom, spirit, courage and inner strength. They openly shared those gifts with their family. In the last few years of their lives, they were each physically limited by their infirmities but their minds were sharp and those attributes continued to be displayed daily in their lives until the end.
Survivors include four children, Daniel Cook of Tacoma, Wash., Timothy (Cathy) Cook of Butte des Morts, Wis., Thomas (Mary) Cook of Oshkosh, and Lois (Jon) D’Aleo of Pullman, Wash.; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
He was a realtor with Coldwell Banker, having spent 17 years at the Coral Gables, Fla., office before relocating to Fort Lauderdale four years ago.
From 2001 to 2005, he served on the board of the YES Institute, a Miami-based nonprofit that works to prevent the suicides of gay youngsters through family and school educational programs.
He loved to cook, and he and his partner loved to travel, especially to New Zealand.
Survivors include his partner of 23 years, Howard Kurzweil; his parents, James and Joy De Boer of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and his sister, Gail De Boer ’76 Barton, of Tucson, Ariz.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps.
He was preceded in death by his son, David Dykema, and by his first wife, Shirley Plaggemars ’53 Dykema, in 2001.
Survivors include his wife, Cora Hoffmeyer Dykema; his children, Sheryl (Keith) Helmus, Steve Dykema, Susan (Todd) Slattery and Tim ’85 (Sara) Dykema; 18 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; his siblings, Nicholas (Mary) Dykema, Adrian (Beth) Dykema, Andrew (Louise) Dykema, and Vivian Dykema ’47 (Carl) Krause.
She was born in Muskegon, Mich., on Aug. 10, 1928, to John and Bertha Hagstrom.
In high school she played French hor in the band and the orchestra. The only person who was potential in her was her piano teacher, Freda Stegink. Kathy’s passion for music and Freda encouraged her to go to college. She transferred to Hope after one year at Western Michigan University.
She met her husband, Ernest Haight, in 1948 when they were seated next to each other in chapel, where attendance was mandatory and seating was in alphabetical order.
She taught first grade for one year in Muskegon, Mich., and following marriage, taught first grade in Lincoln, Neb., for one year while her husband finished an M.A. in mathematics.
They later lived in Los Angeles, Calif., and Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn. Kathy directed and accompanied the Mother Singers in St. Paul and was a soloist at the Fairmont United Methodist Church.
In 1964 they moved to Orlando, Fla., and Kathy took lessons and learned to play the organ. She was a substitute organist at a number of churches in the Orlando area and continued to sing solos and duets at church.
She taught second grade for 18 years in the Orange County public school system, with 16 of those years at Maxey Elementary School in Winter Garden.
She was a faithful, loving, supportive wife, mother and grandmother because of her Christian faith. With faith in God and great perseverance, she maximized her God-given talent and more than justified the faith Freda had in her at age 12 when Freda encouraged her to go on to college.
Survivors include her husband of 57 years, Ernest Haight; their children, Jack Haight, Mark Haight, and Mary Gillis; and three grandchildren.
She was born Oct. 15, 1929, in Geneva, N.Y. She attended Auburn East High School.
She was formerly employed by Everson Museum, RE/MAX Masters, and Prudential Properties.
With style, charm and grace, she gave tirelessly to numerous Central New York organizations. She served on the board of directors of the Syracuse Symphony Association, Corinthian Foundation, Consortium for Children’s Services, Syracuse Stage Guild, and Crouse Hospital Auxiliary. She gave countless hours to the Everson Museum of Art, where she was a trustee, volunteer coordinator, special events coordinator, and president of the members’ council. She also served as president of Syracuse Boys Club Auxiliary and president of the Garden Club of Central New York. In addition, she worked with the American Cancer Society, Girl Scouts of America, and various school PTAs. She co-founded the Everson Museum’s Festival of Trees, Syracuse Symphony Association’s Encore Thrift Shop of Fayetteville, St. David’s Celebration of the Arts, and DeWitt Community Library.
She was a member of the Century Club of Syracuse and Onondaga Golf and Country Club. She was a member of St. David’s Episcopal Church, where she participated in the choir, vestry, flower guild and celebration of the arts as past chairman and volunteer.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Robert Hill ’50, in 2004.
Survivors include three sons, Robert Hill of Muncie, Ind., Steven (Caroline) Hill of Burlington, N.C., and Todd Hill of Manlius; a brother, Leon (Jane) Cookman of Asheville, N.C.; several grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
She was born on Jan. 26, 1918, to Jennie and Gerrit Essenberg in Ellsworth, Mich.
She graduated from Hope and from the Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago, Ill.
She served the Reformed Church in America’s Arabian Mission in Basra, Iraq (1947-1959), Bahrain (1959-1966), and Kuwait (1966-1970). After retiring from mission service, she worked at Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, Clear Lake Family Practice, and Youngblood-Incalcatera Clinic from 1973 to 1985.
She enjoyed an active life at Clear Lake Presbyterian Church, where she led a Bible study for many years and served on the AIDS Care Team.
She was a special person who touched a great many lives.
She was preceded in death by her brothers, John Essenberg and Melvin Essenberg.
Survivors include her children, Jenny (Jonathan) Meinzen, Patricia Holler, and Stephen (Margaret) Holler; her sisters, Geraldine Pryor, Rose Cheney, Harriet Essenberg ’51 (Stanley) van Reken, and Ann (Verne) Elliot; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
He was a beloved teacher who taught at Reavis High School in Burbank, Ill., and Thornton Fractional South in Lansing, Ill., for more than 30 years.
He was a strong supporter of the Museum of Broadcast Communications. He was an antique car enthusiast, enjoyed model cars, and was a pen and radio collector. He also nurtured stray cats so they could find forever homes.
Survivors include his wife, Orisha Kulick.
He was born in Indianapolis, the only child of Arthur and Katherien (Sietsema) Kolkman. He graduated from Muskegon High School.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army and received a Purple Heart in Korea.
He was an avid lover of baseball, and signed with the Cardinal organization upon completion of his college career.
He worked for Jefferson National Life Insurance Company until his retirement in 1986.
He is survived by his adopted family, Larry and Margaret Renihan and their four children.
He was preceded in death by his father, Donald.
He had a Third Degree Black Belt in National Karate.
Survivors include his wife, Debbie; his step-daughter, Alana; and his mother, Sharon; and his siblings, Mark (Alison), Kevin, and Doug (Debby).
He was born in Hamilton, Mich., on June 14, 1913. On June 14m 1938, he married Mildred Baron. In 2009, They celebrated 71 years of marriage. She preceded him in death last November.
He joined the Dow Chemical Company in 1937. He worked as a plastic specialist and manager for the company for 40 years, retiring in 1977.
In 1998 he and his wife donated their 80-acre centennial farm to the Newaygo Soil and Water Conservation. The property and house were to be used as an environmental, agricultural and education center. In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by his sisters and by a son-in-law, Carl Coffin.
Survivors include four children, Sandra (John) Kerstetter of Kent, Ohio, Ruth (Carl) Coffin of Port St. Lucie, Fla., Helen (Ed) Cherry of Fort Worth, Texas, and Bruce (Gerene) Kropscott of Essexville, Mich.; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
She was born in Beaverdam, Mich., on Oct. 12, 1914, the youngest child of Hattie and Sietse Baron. She grew up with her sister, Harriet, and brother, Bill. They all worked together at the Beaverdam General Store, owned by her parents. Her years at the store and at Beaverdam Reformed Church were some of the most vivid and enjoyable memories.
She met Earle Kropscott, the love of her life, in 1933, and they married in Holland, Mich., on June 14, 1938, Earle’s birthday.
They moved to Midland, Mich., in 1938, where Earle worked as a plastic specialist for The Dow Chemical Company until his retirement in 1977. That year they moved to Largo, Fla., for retirement, returning to Michigan in the summers to renovate the Kropscott Farm House in Fremont. In 1998 they donated their 80-acre centennial farm to the Newaygo Soil and Water Conservation. The property and house are to be used as an environmental, agricultural and education center.
She loved raising her family and being around her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her sister, Harriet Baron ’30 Zuidema, her brother, Bill Baron, and a son-in-law, Carl Coffin.
Survivors included her husband of 71 years, Earle Kropscott; four children, Sandra (John) Kerstetter of Kent, Ohio, Ruth (Carl) Coffin of Port St. Lucie, Fla., Helen (Ed) Cherry of Fort Worth, Texas, and Bruce (Gerene) Kropscott of Essexville, Mich.; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
He was born on Nov. 19, 1938 in Zeeland, Mich., to Gerrit and Esther (Sebright) Kruithof, and was a graduate of Zeeland High School.
He was a veteran who served as an MP in the U.S. Army from 1958 to 1961 while stationed in Germany.
Prior to his retirement in 1999, he worked with the State of Michigan for 30 years in Berrien County as a social worker.
Over the years, he was a runner and avid bicyclist. He liked working in the yard and doing home projects. After his retirement, he enjoyed traveling around the country with his wife, Nancy, to see his grandchildren. He and the former Nancy Cohoon, who survives, were married on Jan. 16, 2003.
Survivors in addition to his wife include his children, Glenn (Donna) Kruithof of Palm Coast, Fla., Tammy (Leo) Smith of St. Joseph, Mich., Hope Kruithof of Albuquerque, N.M., and Jeff (Amy) Kruithof of Rensselaer, Ind.; four step-children; 18 grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; his brother, Norman Kruithof; and his sister Nancy O’Farrel.
Survivors include many friends and family.
He was born Jan. 9, 1974, in Grand Rapids, Mich., to Ronald and Betty (Schipper) Laninga, and grew up in Hudsonville, Mich.
He was employed as the recreation program coordinator at E.C. Brooks Correctional Facility for 10 years, organizing things like sporting events, worship services, and physical fitness times.
He was a member of Fellowship Reformed Church, where he served as a deacon and Sunday school teacher.
Survivors include his wife of seven years, Lisa Eacker ’95 Laninga; his parents, Ronald and Betty Laninga of Hudsonville; and three siblings, Brian (Laura) Laninga of Hudsonville, Sherryl (Tim) Kamphuis of Zeeland, Mich., and Mark (Judy) Laninga of Holland, Mich.; father- and mother-in-law, Larry and Joan Eacker of Muskegon; and two sisters-in-law, Renae Eacker and Kara Eacker, both of Muskegon.
He was born on Feb. 15, 1922, in Coopersville, Mich., the son of Harold G. Laug and Charlotte I. Lillie Laug. After graduating from Coopersville High School and Hope, he earned a Master of Science degree in bacteriology and public health from Michigan State University in 1950.
He was a veteran of World War II and Korea, serving in the U.S. Navy as lieutenant commander, retiring in 1973 after 33 years of active duty and in the reserves. He enlisted in the reserves on Nov. 3, 1942, while a student at Hope, was ordered to active duty on July 1, 1943, reporting to Denison University in Granville, Ohio, and served with the Pacific Theatre until he was released to inactive duty in 1946. He returned to active duty in 1951 to the Korean War, serving until February 1954.
On Aug. 6, 1948, he married Virginia Hemmes ’48 at Bethany Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Mich. She survives.
He was employed as a court officer for Montgomery County for 19 years (1980 to 1999). Prior to that, he was employed as corporate manager of sanitation for Beech-Nut in Canajoharie, N.Y., from 1967 to 1979. He was also a bacteriologist and chemist for Swift Co. Research Laboratories in Chicago, Ill., from 1954 to 1967. He also served as a staff member for Michigan State University.
He had been a resident of Canajoharie since 1967. Prior to that, he resided in Country Club Hills, Ill., for three years.
He was an active member of the Reformed Church of Canajoharie, where he served as both elder and deacon. He was a former member of the Grand Ledge Mich., Lion’s Club and Park Forest, Ill., Lion’s Club; board member of Central Mohawk Valley Lion’s Club; and past president, secretary and treasurer, holding every office in the club. He was the recipient of the “Melvin Jones Fellowship Award” for dedicated humanitarian services. This is the highest award received by a member of the Lion’s Club International. He was also a member of the Fort Rensselaer Club of Canajoharie, the Van Alstyne Homestead Society in Canajoharie, the Canajoharie/Fort Plain B.P.O.E., Elks Lodge #2621, the Sprout Brook Rod & Gun Club, the N.R.A., and the Canajoharie Smith-Schultz American Legion Post #222. He was a board member as well as a trustee for the Canajoharie Falls Cemetery Association.
Maurice and his wife, Virginia Hemmes ’48 Laug, established the Maurice C. and Virginia C. Hemmes Laug Scholarship Fund at Hope.
Survivors in addition to his wife include his children, Deborah Laug ’72 (Ronald) Limoncelli of Palatine Bridge, N.Y., Nancy (Stephen) Herron of Fort Plain, N.Y., Lise Cappuccio of Amsterdam, N.Y., and M. Charles Laug Jr. of Pella, Iowa; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
He was an instructor in the department of chemistry at Hope from 1955 to 1957.
Survivors include his wife, Sandra Louch, and three sons.
She was born on Sept. 9, 1917, in Maurice, Iowa, to Rev. John and Theresa Vanderbeek. She graduated from Holland (Mich.) High School.
On Dec. 21, 1940, she married Kenneth Miller, who preceded her in death. The couple opened a medical practice in Saugatuck, Mich. She was an industrial nurse at the Chrysler plant in Detroit, Mich., during World War II. Her fondest nursing memories were of caring for premature infants as a hospital nursery supervisor.
She moved to Oregon in 1972 after her husband’s death to be near grandchildren. She was organist and choir director at Cornelius United Methodist Church for several years.
She will be remembered as an exemplar of loving kindness for children and animals and as an ardent admirer of the beauty of creation.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Kenneth Miller.
Survivors include her daughters, Carol Goshorn, Jean Miller, Laura Bekken and Sue Sturdevant; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
More information will appear in the next issue.
He was born in Fort Belvoir, Va., the son of Marjorie and Joe Motheral. He lived with them overseas in Thailand and Taiwan, where he graduated from Taipei American School. After graduating from Hope, he earned a master’s degree in business administration from the University of Arkansas.
He was a senior vice president of the John Marshall Bank. His career in banking began with the First American Bank, followed by Signet and the Citizens Bank of Maryland. His tenure was the longest with Virginia Commerce Bank (1988-2008).
He played basketball in high school and one year in college and continued that as a sports activity.
In 1991 he married Joy Schouten and they had two children. They eventually divorced but maintained a continuing friendship and strong parental unity. He and Joy were members of the Rockville United Church, where Greg was on the Church Council.
He later met Cathy Bottrell and her son, Sean, with whom he shared six years of happiness.
His banking career took him to Alexandria, Va., where he was voted Chamber of Commerce “Man of the Year.”
Survivors include his children, Kayla and Alyssa; his parents, Joe and Marjorie Motheral; and his sisters, Kathy Motheral and Carrie Motheral ’84 (Tom) Davis.
After graduating Hope, she achieved a master’s degree in mathematics from Harvard University. She taught high school math for several years in the Interboro school system, outside Philadelphia, Pa. After moving back to Michigan, she went on to be one of the first female executives at Kellogg’s as the director of market research. She later moved to Chicago, Ill., and went to work for Nielson Clearing House as the senior vice president of marketing. She also worked for many years for A.C. Nielson and retired as managing director of global services at VNU.
In addition to a successful business woman, Jane was also a loving wife, mother, and grandmother.
Survivors include her husband, Jim Perrin; her daughter, Anne (Daniel) Paolucci; and her granddaughter.
She was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Nov. 14, 1954, and grew up in Hartford, Mich., where she attended high School. She attended Hope and later graduated from Nazareth College.
She was a 29-year employee of Pfizer and the former Upjohn and Pharmacia Corp.
She enjoyed music and performed often on piano and guitar and as a vocal soloist as a member of several choirs. She also was a private piano instructor in Kalamazoo.
She was a member of the Hartford United Methodist Church (UMC) and Westwood UMC, and at the time of her death was a member of Fulton Christian Church, where her husband is the pastor.
She was an avid University of Michigan football and basketball fan and recently became a fan of the Detroit Tigers. She enjoyed swimming, reading, water skiing and gardening.
She will long be remembered for her beautiful smile and her kind heart.
Survivors include her husband, James Roberts; her parents, John and Venetia Laman; a son, Matthew Burke; twin step-daughters, Rebecca (Eric) Ivany and Renee (Andy) Miller; two siblings, Kerry (Rick) Samulak and John (Cathie) Laman; and a grandmother, Rose Laman.
He was born in Oak Park, Ill.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Army in the Philippines during World War II.
After marriage at his wife’s home in Warroad, Minn., he completed college at the University of Wisconsin-EauClaire before moving to West Michigan. He worked for Diesel Equipment Division of General Motors Corp. as an industrial engineer, retiring with 30 years of service.
He was a longtime resident of Georgetown Township and served for many years a constable and a library board trustee, and with Friends of the Library.
Richard was a loving and generous father and friend to many and will be greatly missed.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Lorelei Parker ’50 Saxon, and a sister, Jean Ward Bruna.
Survivors include two daughters, Cheryl Kaufman of Cave Creek, Ariz., and Laura (Stephen) Shoemaker of Caledonia, Mich.; and seven grandchildren.
He was born in Danforth, Ill.
He was a sales manager for Marshall Box.
Survivors include his daughters, Laurel Delwiche and Pamela Asher.
She was the daughter of Harvey and Georgiana Barkel.
She was a longtime member of and volunteer at the Margaret P. Hummer Guild of Holland Hospital.
She was preceded in death by her granddaughter, Emily Van Dyke, in 2004.
Survivors include her husband, Charles Sligh III ’51; her children Charles “Chip” Sligh IV of Holland, David (Kathy) Sligh of Holland, Susan (Jim) Van Dyke of Saugatuck, Mich., and Thomas ’83 (Dory Smith ’85) Sligh of Holland; 12 grandchildren, including Ashley Sligh ’09 (Matt) Tibbe and Sarah Sligh ’09; 12 great-grandchildren; and in-laws, Robert and Lois Sligh of Holland, Richard and Marti Sligh of Holland, and Patricia Ver Sluis of California.
John was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., on Dec. 18, 1927, to Menno and Ida Smith. He graduated from Creston High School in 1945, from Hope, and from Western Theological Seminary in 1952.
He served three congregations in the Reformed Church in America (RCA) during his years in active ministry: Melvin Reformed Church in Melvin, Iowa, (1952-1961); Newkirk Reformed Church in Hospers, Iowa, (1961-1971); and Baileyville Reformed Church in Baileyville, Ill., (1971-1988). He also served on various committees and boards of RCA institutions.
Upon retirement he and his wife, Marian Mastenbroek ’46 Smith, moved to Holland, where they became members of Christ Memorial Church (RCA). She survives.
Survivors, in addition to his wife of 60 years, include Paul ’72 (Loretta) Smith of Holland, Tom (Peg) Smith of Rock Valley, Iowa, and Beth Smith of Holland; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Delores (Don) Haadsma; a sister-in-law, Judith Mastenbrook of Holland.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Sylvia Loop ’66 Smith.
Survivors include his children, Melody (Thomas) Hirschler, Daniel (Zdenka) Smith, Christine (Harry) Jackson, and Paul Smith; four grandchildren; and his siblings, Ruth (Roy) Becker, Esther (Dale) Fidler, and Ira (Gail Sue) Smith.
She was a great-granddaughter of Rev. Philip Phelps Jr., who was president of Hope College from 1866 to 1878.
She was born in Lawyersville, N.Y., in 1923, and grew up in Neshanic, N.J., where her father was the minister of the Neshanic Dutch Reformed Church. She left Neshanic to attend Northfield, then a boarding school for girls. While at Northfield, she worked summers as a waitress. Her busboy was Paul Stephan Jr., a recent graduate of the Mount Hermon School. Delayed by the outbreak of World War II, their marriage took place in 1947.
She accompanied her husband to Washington, D.C., in 1951 when he left the history faculty of New York University to join the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). In 1958 the CIA assigned him to its Saipan station to teach courses in intelligence analysis, and she joined the agency as a part-time administrative worker. When they returned to the Washington area in 1960, she remained home with her children until a few years later, when she returned to work for the CIA. She retired from the agency in 1981 to spend more time with the first of what would eventually be six grandchildren.
She and her husband joined the Vienna Presbyterian Church in 1962, where they were active members and she sang in the choir for the entire period of their membership. In 1991 they moved to Green Ridge Village in Newville, Pa. They regularly returned to the Washington area to visit friends.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Paul Stephan Jr., in 2002, and her sister, Rosalind Scholten ’47 Gainsborg, in 2009.
Survivors include her children, Paul Stephan III of Charlottesville, Va., and Janet Stephan ’76 Harmon of Huntsville, Ala.; and six grandchildren.
She was born in Holland, Mich.
Her first teaching job was in California, where she met her husband, a lieutenant in the Royal Dutch Air Force. After living in Australia, Indonesia and the Netherlands, they settled in her hometown.
She had been a resident of Jacksonville for 10 years. She was preceded in death by her husband, Johannes.
Survivors include her daughters, Connie (Sam) Rodante and Cherie Veurink; and three grandchildren.
He was born in Chicago, Ill., on Dec. 28, 1938, to Swedish immigrants Clara (Johansson) and Per Swanson. He lived in Chicago until his high school years in southwestern Michigan.
After graduating from Hope, he pursued graduate studies at Northwestern University while teaching English at North Park College Academy in Chicago from 1959 to 1965. His career as an advocate for philanthropy began in 1965 and spanned more than four decades in various roles in resource development and institutional advancement. He served as development officer for North Park College and Theological Seminary, Chicago; Minnehaha Academy, Minneapolis, Minn.; and St. Joseph’s Hospital, Chippewa Falls, and its Libertas Treatment Center, Green Bay, Wis. Before moving to Chippewa Falls, he owned and headed a consulting practice based in the Twin Cities for six years. His firm served nonprofit clients in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. He held the Certified Fund Raising Professional accreditation for 24 years and continued consulting for more than 23 years.
He served his profession on the boards of directors of a variety of charitable and other nonprofit organizations and earned many awards and other recognition for his distinguished service.
His church service included chairing two boards and a term as congregational chairman of North Park Covenant Church, Chicago; the board of trustees of Bethlehem Covenant Church, Minneapolis; and the board of trustees of Central Lutheran Church Foundation, Chippewa Falls.
Survivors include his children, Ronald Swanson of Chicago and Susan Swanson (her partner, Catherine Stark) of Prescott Valley, Ariz.; and a sister, Marianne (George) Lindholm of Hot Springs, Ark.
He was born on March 9, 1928, in Demotte, Ind., the son of William Swart and Elvina Prince Swart. After graduating from Hope, he earned a master’s degree from the University of Michigan.
He was a retired Navy commander, and as an avid sailor, he built his own sailboat.
He was a band director for many years at Gretna High School, teaching and sharing his love of music with many.
Following retirement, he stayed active in music, playing as the principal horn with the Danville Symphony, and playing with the Bedford Symphony and the Franklin Brass.
He was an active member of Anderson Memorial United Methodist Church and was a member and served as adjutant of American Legion Post 232.
He enjoyed trains, rail travel, woodworking and furniture making.
He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert Swart ’41, and a sister, Jeanne Green.
Survivors include his wife, Betty Swart; three sons, Mark (Jennifer) Swart Sr. of Altavista, Calif., Brian (Debbie) Swart Sr. of Little River, S.C., and Jeffrey Swart of Hudson, N.C.; six grandchildren; one great-grandchild; three sisters-in-law, Morrie Swart of Canyon City, Colo., Maybelle Sehm of Phoenix, Ariz., and Audrey (Bill) Neva of Rochester, N.Y.
He was a veteran who served four years in the U.S. Army during World War II.
He retired from the H.J. Heinz Company after working 30 years in Chicago as district manager. After retiring, he worked for W.S.B.B. Radio in sales.
He was an avid golfer and a member of Tomoka Oaks Country Club.
He was preceded in death by his brothers, Arthur Timmer and Bill Timmer.
Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Geraldine Timmer; his children, Nancy Rodriguez and Martin Timmer; four grandchildren; a step-daughter, Laura Brugnetti; and his sister, Ann Timmer ’45 (Richard ’48) Higgs.
She was a member of the Acton chapter of O.E.S.
She devoted her life to teaching and did so with charisma and love. She enjoyed shaping young minds and finding talent in everyone.
She and her husband restored two homes in the Herron Morton neighborhood of Indianapolis while teaching at IPS 45, 47 and 60. In retirement, they joined the Central Indiana Bicycling Association and developed a passion for long-distance cycling which included trips around lakes Michigan, Erie and Ontario on a recumbent tandem.
She will be remembered for her optimism, spunk and never uttering a bad word toward anyone. She had that knack for connecting with everyone -- especially people who needed it, like the inner-city kids she taught. She knew everyone needed a chance.
She fought her cancer with courage, grace and determination.
Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Gilbert Turpin; her brother, Derck Oppenhuizen; her daughters, Katherine Strough and Gwendolyn McVeigh; and seven grandchildren.
He was born Aug. 2, 1915, in Shelby, Mich., the son of John and Christine (Bruce) Van Domelen.
He was a veteran of World War II who served in the U.S. Navy as the captain of a mine sweeper.
After graduating from Hope, he earned a J.D. at the University of Michigan. He worked as an attorney and then a prosecutor in Hart, Mich., before being elected circuit judge for 25 years.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie Spitler Van Domelen, and six brothers and sisters.
Survivors include his daughter, Gwen (James) Fountain; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Robert VanDragt ’40; her son, Ric VanDragt; and one grandson.
Survivors include her sons, Robert (Jackie Norton) VanDragt and Thomas (Sandy) VanDragt; five grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and her brother, Doug Mac Gregor.
He was born on March 1, 1913, in Sioux Center, Iowa, the eldest of three children of Jacob and Anna (Huitink) Vermeer. He attended Northwestern Junior College, graduated from Hope, attended Westminster Seminary in Philadelphia, Pa., and graduated from Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Mich.
On Aug. 10, 1939 he married Alberta Kooiker, who preceded him in death.
He and his wife served churches in Falmouth and Moddersville, Mich.; Central Park Reformed Church in Holland; First Reformed Church of Roseland in Chicago, Ill.; Hope Reformed Church in Sheboygan, Wis.; Hope Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Mich.; First Reformed Church in Denver, Colo.; First Reformed Church in Pella, Iowa; and First Reformed Church in Hospers, Iowa, where he retired in 1977. He was honored as “Minister Emeritus” from First Reformed Church in Pella. He and his wife additionally resided in Hull, Iowa, Bradenton, Fla., and Vriendschap Village in Pella.
His service to the Reformed Church in America (RCA) included the RCA Board of Domestic Missions, editorial council of the “Church Herald,” executive council of the World Home Bible League, General Synod executive committee, Central College board of trustees, and Northwestern College board of trustees.
He was preceded in death in 2004 by his wife of 65 years, Alberta Kooiker ’38 Vermeer, and by his sister, Dorothy Addison and her husband, George, a brother, Harvey Vermeer, a brother-in-law, Arthur Kooiker and his wife, Billie, and a brother-in-law, Anthony Kooiker.
Survivors include his children, Lorna Vermeer ’63 (Mike ’64) Schrier of Montgomery, Ala., and Jim (Pam) Vermeer of Pella, Iowa; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; a sister-in-law, Johanna (Harvey) Vermeer of Sioux Center, Iowa.
He was a professor and chair of the Arizona State University department of physics for 43 years and president of the American Association of Physics Teachers.
He was preceded in death by his wife of more than 50 years, Helen Jansen Voss, and by two brothers, Dale and Leon.
Survivors include a brother, John (Lynda) Voss; his sons, Keith (Katie), Curt (Pam), and Steven (Wendy); 11 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; his sister-in-law, Dorothy Fennema ’51 Voss; and his brother-in-law, John (Lori) Jansen.
He was a veteran who served in the U.S. Air Force from 1943 to 1945.
After attending Hope, he earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan.
He was employed by the Herman Miller Company, a manufacturer of office furniture based in Zeeland, Mich., from 1955 until his retirement as president in 1982. During that time, he led a task force that finished development and handled marketing for the Action Office system with movable walls (cubicles), introduced in 1968. The system became the company’s most profitable product.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Virginia Walters, in 2006.
Survivors include his children, Martha Walters (John VanLandingham) of Eugene, Ore., Steven Walters (Amy Pattullo) of Grand Rapids, Julie (Peter) Metsker of East Grand Rapids, Mich., Ellen (John) Wilder of Caledonia, Mich., Sue (Jeffrey) Swain of East Grand Rapids, and Mihoko Furuya of Sapporo, Japan; 12 grandchildren; and one great-grandson.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Collins Weeber ’53.
Survivors include her daughter.
He was born Nov. 30, 1923, in Holland to Benjamin and Bertha (Hesse) Williams. He graduated from Holland High School in 1941, receiving the Bausch & Lomb Science Medal as the outstanding science student.
His studies at Hope were interrupted by World War II. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Upon completing pilot training at Kirtland Army Air Base near Albuquerque, N.M., he married Arlayne Arnold on May 12, 1944, before going to England as a B-24 pilot. He flew a number of bombing missions over Europe.
After honorable discharge from military service, he returned to Holland and worked at his parents’ business, Williams Jewelers at 24 E. 8th St., and eventually became the owner. He closed the store in 1985 upon his retirement.
He took night classes to complete his degree at Hope in 1961.
He was a Fellow of the Gemological Society of Great Britain and a member of the American Gemological Society, American Legion Post 6 in Holland, Holland Elks and Rotary. He served as president of the school board of Lakeview School before its annexation into the City of Holland. He served on the board of supervisors of Ottawa County for two terms. He was also a volunteer fireman for decades.
Don and his wife enjoyed traveling together in the U.S. and cruising in warm climates, especially the Caribbean. They ended up dividing their time between Arizona and in the winter and Michigan the remainder of the year. He continued these seasonal travels after Arlayne died, although his more recent health problems kept him from returning to Michigan.
He was preceded in death in 1999 by his wife of 54 years, Arlayne, and by his sister, Mary Louise Otto.
Survivors include his sister, Ruth Williams ’42 Vrieling of Edmond, Okla.; his son, Thomas Williams (Roberto Lau) of Anchorage, Alaska and New York City; his daughters, Patricia (Kaylor) Shemberger of Chandler, Ariz., Laurie Williams of Baton Rouge, La., Jean (David) Read of Holland, and Elizabeth (Gary) Haydon of Queen Creek, Ariz.; two grandchildren; and a step-granddaughter.
He was born and raised in Glenwood, Minn., and served in the U.S. Naval Reserve in the South Pacific.
He earned a doctorate in art history from the University of Iowa.
He was a professor emeritus of art history and former director of the gallery of the De Pree Art Center at Hope, where he had taught from 1971 until retiring in 1999. He played a central role in the development of the college’s gallery program, including overseeing the completion of the gallery in the De Pree Art Center, which was completed in the summer of 1982. He also helped guide the college’s art history program to its current status as a full major. He curated, installed or administered numerous exhibitions at Hope.
He was an active member of Grace Episcopal Church in Holland and of Evergreen Commons senior center, where he was devoted to his exercise classes in later years.
Survivors include his wife, Virginia, of Holland; and his son Timothy Wilson (wife Pamela Graham) and daughter Lise ’91, both of whom live and work in the New York City area.