Rose Window
- About Dimnent
Memorial Chapel
- Diagram View
- Rose Window
- North Arcade
- South Arcade
- East Chancel Window
- Miscellaneous
Windows
- Sights & Sounds
- Hope College
   
Stained Glass Windows of Dimnent Memorial Chapel

Four Chancel PanelsDimnent Memorial Chapel on the campus of Hope College has some of the most impressive stained glass windows in Michigan. Using glass imported from France and Italy, the windows were created by the Hardy Payne Studios in Paterson, N.J. and installed during the building’s construction in 1927-29. Four generations of the Hardy family had been members of the Reformed Church in America, the founding denomination of Hope College.

The principal artist was Signor G.A. Zucci, an Austrian from Venice, Italy. He was selected because of his knowledge and skill in European cathedral and antique designs. His draughtmanship and color work received the highest tribute throughout Italy and eastern Europe.

There are six windows each on the north and south sides of the building, a large chancel or lattice window in the background of the stage on the east side and a rose window above the entrance on the west side. The windows highlight Biblical figures accented by medallions and shields significant in church history.

A major preservation and restoration of the windows by the Hauser Art Glass Company of Winona, Minn. occurred in 2000.



ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

The descriptions on this web site were excerpted from papers written by Mildred Vanden Bos DeBoer, Class of 1937, and Fred Olert, Class of 1926. Information was also provided by the Joint Archives of Holland and by Dr. Elton J. Bruins, the Evert J. and Hattie E. Blekkink Professor Emeritus of Religion and Philip Phelps Jr. Research Professor, Van Raalte Institute.

Still Photography by Tom Renner '67
Panoramic Photography by Melqui Rodriguez
Website Designed and Created by Rebecca Van Dyke Robrahn '96
Videography by Phil Blauw '83 and Casey Stormes

 



© 2008
Hope College, Holland, Michigan USA
All Rights Reserved.