Coed Basketball Rules
Number of players: Maximum: 5; Minimum: 4.
1. The basic rules are those set forth in the NCAA basketball rule book.
2. Rule adjustments are such:
A. Duration of the game - two 20 minute halves, running time with stopped
clock during the last two minutes of the last half on dead balls.
B. Half time - 5 minute duration
C. Time outs - one of 1 minute in duration per half (not accumulative). One
of 30 seconds in duration in the overtime period (not sudden-death).
D. Overtime - one 2 minute period with stopped clock during last minute. If
ended in a tie score, shall be followed immediately by a sudden-death
period in which the first team to score one or more points shall be declared
3. Substitutions - Free substitution with no gain of an unfair advantage.
4. Jump balls - will be handled by alternating the ball to teams at the
5. Fouls - There is no foul shooting during the game.
A. Personal fouls - Six personal fouls equals disqualification.
1) Against a shooter who:
a. makes the shot - count the basket and defense gets possession under
b. misses the shot - shooter gets possession at mid-court.
2) Against a non-shooter: ball awarded to offended team at
3) During the last two minutes of the last half of regul-ation time and
during the last minute of overtime, all fouls will be one-and-one only
if no points were scored on the foul.
4)A foul can only happen if
1) The player is in bounds or
2) The player is in possession of the ball
B. Technical fouls - Three removes a player or coach from the gym. (Automatic
two points plus ball to the offended team at mid-court. Additionally,
if a foul is flagrant, the offender(s) will be ejected from the game.
6. Team - Coed teams consist of three women and two men, or three men
and two women. A team may play with as few as four players. However,
at no time may the number of male players on the court exceed the number
of female players by more than one player.
7. Play - Men CANNOT block women's shots at any time. If a block is attempted,
the basket counts. Men CANNOT steal the ball from a woman who has possession
or is dribbling. Men may steal a pass.
8. Equipment - A men's basketball will be used.
9. Protests - All protests must be made in writing and presented to the
Dow office according to IM Protest Rules #38-41 in the IM Handbook.
10. Participation rules - All teams are expected to follow IM Rules #25-30
which means that the team must be dressed and ready to play (lineup properly
recorded) at game time. Running shoes and black soled shoes
will NOT be allowed on the gym floor. You must wear basketball
or tennis shoes or you will not be allowed to participate. Socks
or bare feet will not be allowed.
11. Sportsmanship rules - IM Rule #36 will be strictly enforced. Rosters
will be checked regularly. Fighting or any other unsports-manlike
action will NOT be tolerated!
Roster addition forms may be done online at the IM page to firstname.lastname@example.org or
there are forms in the DOW.
12. Hope & IM rule - Any player, non-player team personnel, or spectator
under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked by the IM supervisor
to leave the Dow Center.
13. Additional players may be added UP TO game time on the day of your
scheduled event. Roster additions forms are in the Dow Center
main office, the IM Office, and on the IM website to email@example.com.
14. To reschedule, you must contact Kristen Morrison or Dr. Anne Irwin
(x7956) AT LEAST 48 hours prior to the scheduled event, or forfeit.
15. One NO SHOW or two forfeits will put your team on probation. Once
on probation, either one additional no show or one forfeit will remove
your team from competition.