Men's Basketball Rules
Maximum players: 5
Minimum players: 3
1. The basic rules are those set forth in the NCAA basketball rule book.
No Varsity or JV basketball players may play intramural basketball (even after their season concludes),
as explained in the IM Handbook (Varsity & JV Athlete Eligibility Rules
#4). There shall not be more than two former Varsity or JV players
on the court at a given time. This INCLUDES alumni who play on your team. So at all times, there must be a minimum of 3 NON-former players.
If you have ANY former Hope players on your team, your team must compete in the MORE COMPETITIVE league. However, if you have ONE ONLY former JV player on your team, you may sign up for LESS competitive. Multiple former JV players still must be in the MORE competitive league.
2. Adjustments due to the facilities and the times available are these:
of the game - two 20 minute halves, running time with stopped clock
during the last two minutes of the last half on dead balls.
- Half time
- 5 minute duration
- Time outs - one of 1 minute in duration per half (not accumulative).
One of 30 seconds in duration in the overtime period (not sudden-death).
(regular season and playoffs) - first team to 5 points wins. Coin flip or paper/scissors/rock will determine who gets the first posession.
- Free substitution with no gain of an unfair advantage.
4. Jump balls - will be handled by alternating possession, to be inbounded
at the sideline.
5. Fouls - There is no foul shooting during the game.
- Personal fouls on the playing court - Six personal fouls equals disqualifications.
a shooter who:
a. makes the shot - count the basket and defense gets possession under
b. misses the shot - shooter gets possession at mid-court.
a non-shooter: ball awarded to offended team at nearest sideline.
the last two minutes of the last half of regulation time and during
the last minute of overtime, all non-shooting fouls will be one-and-one;
all shooting fouls will be handled according to NCAA basketball rules
-- eg, two point shot -- two automatic free throws, dead ball on
the first, live ball on the second; three-point shot -- three auto-matic
free throws -- first two dead ball, live ball on the
third. DURING THE LAST 2 MINUTES OF PLAY, THE IM WORKER MUST APPROVE (or not) ALL FOULS THAT GET CALLED.
- Technical foul - Three removes a player or coach from the gym. (Automatic
two points plus the ball to the offended team at mid-court. Additionally,
if a foul is flagrant, the offender(s) will be ejected from the game.
6. HARD FOULS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. The IM Workers have been instructed that at any time, they may eject a player for an unneccessarily hard foul. They also reserve the right to give a team a warning if the hard foul is less severe, and any subsequent hard fouls will lead to the ejection of that player. Any further hard fouls within that game will lead to an automatic forfeit of the game, however that determination is made by the IM Worker, not the opposing team's captain.
7. Participation rules - All teams are expected to follow IM Participation Rules which means that the team must be dressed and ready to play (lineup properly
recorded) at game time. All members of your team must show thier Hope ID to sign-in.
Running shoes and black soled shoes will NOT be allowed on the gym floor.
You must wear basketball or tennis shoes or you will not be allowed to
participate. Socks or bare feet will also not be allowed. And you must bring a 2nd pair of shoes so you do not wear wet shoes on the floor.
NO MORE THAN 2 FORMER VARSITY/JV PLAYERS MAY BE ON THE COURT AT ANY GIVEN
This means that:
1) At any given point in an IM game, each team should have 3 players
on the court who have NEVER made a Varsity or JV basketball team at
Hope. (all former players must be noted on your roster)
2) With your 2 former players, you can have a) 2 former Varsity players
b) 2 former JV players, c) 1 former Varsity and 1 former JV, but you
CAN NOT have 2 former Varsity & 2 former JV players on the court
and be in compliance with the rule (I believe this is how some people
are interpreting the rule currently). ALUMNI MUST ABIDE BY THESE SAME RULES, and are considered FORMER PLAYERS if they were ever a part of Hope Basketball (varsity or JV)
3) If you are a former player and are on a team with more than 2 former
players you must a) rotate so that no more than 2 are on the court at
a time or b) switch to another team who does not have any former players.
4) All teams with former players on it will automatically be in the More Competitive League. If all Competitive League captains agree to having 3 former players on the court at a time, this will be allowed (or able to be a game by game decision). HOWEVER, teams do reserve the right to say they to NOT want to play this way, both in the regular season OR the playoffs (regardless of whether you've played previously and what the decision was regarding former players then).
8. Sportsmanship rules will be strictly enforced. Rosters
will be checked regularly. Fighting or any other unsportsmanlike action
will NOT be tolerated!
9. IM rule - Any player, non-player team personnel, or spectator under
the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked by a Dow supervisor or
the IM supervisor to leave the Dow Center.
10. Additional players may be added UP TO game time on the day of your
scheduled event. Roster addition forms can be found online. Email email@example.com with
11. There will be NO rescheduling or switching of contests due to a
lack of space. You may always add more players to your roster to
meet the needs of the existing schedule. We ask for your
understanding and cooperation.
12. One NO SHOW will place your team on probation.
Once on probation, any additional no shows will
your team from competition.