Coed Outdoor Soccer Rules
1. A team shall consist of six players; a minimum of four
players (MINUS THE GOALIE - See Rule 5 below). When playing with 6 & 4,
there must be an equal number of male & female players. When playing
with 5, there must be 3 of one gender, and 2 of the other. IF BOTH
AGREE, THEY MAY PLAY WITH 6 PLAYERS + THEIR GOALIE (SEE RULE 5 BELOW).
must be 3 of one gender and 4 of the other, and the goalkeeper may
be either gender. This MUST BE AGREED UPON before the game begins,
and if one team would rather not play with 7 total players, that decision
must be respected.
2. Length of the field: 60 yards = (2) 15-yard penalty boxes and (2)
15-yard areas between the box and the center line.
3. Length of the game: (2) 25-minute halves with a 5-minute halftime.
The clock is stopped only after scoring a goal, for a penalty kick, or
for an IM supervisor timeout.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO METAL CLEATS OR SCREW IN SPIKES ARE ALLOWED. No baseball,
softball or football cleats allowed. Soft cleated shoes or tennis shoes
are allowed. Shin guards are optional.
5. A goalkeeper may be used by each team. Since there
is no box, each team is responsible to make sure they are within the
legal space. Each team may determine if they'd like a male or female
6. NO CURRENT PLAYERS FROM HOPE'S SOCCER TEAMS MAY BE ON YOUR ROSTER!
They are in their non-traditional season, which means they're IN
SEASON. You may have a TOTAL of 2 past players on your team. That means
2 males, 2 females OR 1 male/1 female who have ever been on Hope's Varsity
(even if just for one year). Graduating seniors who played for 4 years
fall into this category and count toward the legal total of 2 past players.
On your team's first night of competition, you must mark the past players
from your team on your roster so that the IM worker can monitor this
rule. IF YOU ARE FOUND TO BE BREAKING THIS RULE, YOUR TEAM CAN BE ELIMINATED
FROM IM'S. If you need to remove any players from your team, fill out
a "Roster Addition Form" online, but specify that you are removing
START OF PLAY
5. Play begins with a place kick toward opponent’s half of the
field with both teams in an on-side position. The receiving team must
be 8 yards from the ball until it is kicked.
6. The ball must roll its circumference or be rekicked.
7. The clock starts after the ball rolls one circumference.
8. A goal CANNOT be scored from a kickoff.
9. Only blatant offsides will be called and thus no "cherry picking."
FOULS AND MISCONDUCTS
10. The captains will call their own fouls as you would in a pick-up
11. Captains may turn to the soccer arbitrator and ask for a decision.
All arbitrator decisions are final. Refusal to accept the arbitrator
decision results in a forfeit.
12. A list of fouls that are penalized with an "direct" free
- Handling the ball with hands or arms is not allowed;
- Holding or obstructing an opponent to keep him from playing the ball;
- Placing hands on an opponent in an effort to reach the ball;
- Pushing, striking, or attempting to strike an opponent;
- Jumping at an opponent;
- Kicking or attempting to kick an opponent,
or tripping an opponent;
- Charging an opponent from behind, when the opponent has both feet
off the ground, or using the knee on an opponent;
- Tackling an opponent from a blind side or behind is not allowed;
- Charging a goalie in the GOAL AREA;
- Using foul or abusive language
(swearing loudly or at someone); and,
- Unsportsmanlike conduct
13. A list of fouls that are penalized with an "indirect" free
- A player playing the ball a second time before it has been played
by another player on the kick-off, a throw-in, a free kick, a corner
kick, a goal-kick (if the ball has passed outside the penalty area),
or on a penalty kick;
- Ball not kicked forward on a penalty kick;
- Goalkeeper carrying ball
more than four steps within penalty area;
- Substitution made at an improper time, or for failure of the substitute
to report to the supervisor;
- Offsides; and,
- Interfering with goalie or impeding him in any manner until he clears
the ball while he is in the goal area.
14. Opposing team players must stand 8 yards away.
15. The ball must be motionless prior to the kick.
16. Hands and arms may be used to stop a ball from scoring while standing
in the 5-yard penalty box. The penalty box goes out to the sideline.
17. Hand may NOT be used to receive a pass back from the feetof a teammate
nor a throw-in.
18. The penalty mark is on the edge of the penalty box, 15-yards out
from the goal line.
19. The goalkeeper must stand on the goal line until the ball is kicked.
20. A defender committing any foul inside the penalty area results in
a penalty kick.
21. Throw-ins are taken when the ball goes out of bounds over the sideline.
22. The throw is two-handed with equal pressure and continuous. Both
feet must remain on the ground and behind the sideline.
23. Corner kicks occur when the ball crosses the end line (not scoring),
last touched by a defender.
24. A goal can be scored directly.
25. Opponents must stay 8 yards away from the kick.
26. Goal kicks occur when the ball crosses the endline (not scoring),
last touched by the offender.
27. Goal kicks are kicked from the corner of the goal area.
28. Opponents must be outside the penalty area until the ball crosses
the penalty area line.
29. The kick must be a place kick.
30. Substitutions occur on your team’s throw-in, unless the other
team is also subbing, or on a goal kick, a corner kick, or after a goal.
TIEBREAKER - OCCUR ONLY IN PLAYOFFS
31. Length: 10-minute sudden death overtime period.
32. If still tied after overtime, then a kick off occurs. Each team
will get 3 penalty kicks, alternating kicks between teams. Each goal
scored counts toward final score.
33. The entire ball must pass over the goal line.
34. A goal counts one point.
35. Ties will stand in regulation. For seeding purposes only, a win
counts two points and a tie counts one point.
All protests must be made in writing and presented to the
Dow office according to IM Protest Rules #38-41 in the IM
All teams are expected to follow IM Rules #25-30 which means
that the team must be dressed and ready to play (lineup
properly recorded) at game time.
IM Rule #36 will be strictly enforced. Rosters will be
checked regularly. Unsportsmanlike action will NOT be
- One NO SHOW will put your team on probation.
- Once on probation, one additional no show will remove
your team from competition.
- Additional players may be added UP TO game time on the day of your
scheduled event. Roster additions forms are on the IM website. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with
- Check the IM website homepage to learn of cancellations due to rain.