|hope college > student activities > intramural sports|
Women's Flag Football
1. A team shall consist of a maximum of five players;a minimum of four.
2. Playing field: Women's flag football will be played OUTDOORS on the intramural field between the baseball and softball fields.
3. Length of game: (2) 20-minute halves with a 3-minute halftime. During each half, the first eight minutes is running time, stopping the clock only for a: touchdown, safety, incomplete pass, out-of-bounds, or team timeout.
A two-minute verbal warning is given by the IM supervisor. During the final two minutes of each half, the clock will be stopped any time the play is dead.
4. Possession: Each team is given four downs to advance the ball over the half line/large blue line in the middle of the playing area. The ball must break the plane of the near side of the large blue line to gain four new downs. If this is achieved, four additional downs are given to score.
5. Timeouts: (2) timeouts per half of one-minute in duration per team (not accumulative).
6. Kickoff: At the beginning of each half and after touch-downs or safeties, kickoff from the behind goal line (red line) by throwing or kicking the ball (if indoors, throwing only). If the ball touches the ceiling or other ceiling objects, the ball is rekicked. The kicking team must stay behind the goal line (red line) until the ball is kicked. The receiving team must have a minimum of four receivers.
7. On the kickoff (throw), a ball that hits the ground before someone
touches it is live or a ball that hits the back wall is a touchbackand
is brought out to the anchor.
9. A ball kicked(thrown) out-of-bounds is either a foul (penalty 5 yards from kick) or rekicked. The receiving team has the choice of which penalty will be enforced.
10. Following a touchback, the ball is placed in the center of "anchor" circle at that half of the floor.
11. A muffed catch (touched ball not caught) is marked dead on that spot.
13. A defensive team must have a minimum of four players on the line of scrimmage.
14. The offensive line players must remain stationary for one second prior to the snap.
15. The player receiving the snap may be no more than 2 yards from the line of scrimmage.
16. If a snap hits the ground, it is dead.
17. Two offensive players, other than the center, must touch the ball before it is advanced. Only if the quarterback is rushed may she run the ball.
18. All players are eligible to catch a pass.
19. One foot must come down inbounds on a pass.
20. Pass interference will be penalized with a first down. Pass interference constitutes an obvious attempt to impede (such as hands on the face). If the offensive team is not at the blueline, then take the ball to the blue line. If the penalty occurs past the blue line, then a first down is awarded but no extra yardage is given.
21. The ball must cross the line of scrimmage for pass interference to be called.
22. On defensive blocking, hands may only touch the opponent inside the shoulders on the chest. No pushing.
23. On offensive blocking, hands and arms may be use forprotection but elbows must be held in. No stiff-arming.
24. The flag belt must be worn legally attached.
25. An offensive player cannot guard the flag belt with her body. To avoided being deflagged, you may only spin or jump.
26. A ball carrier who has fallen to the ground is down.
27. Touchdown: 6 points. Safety: 2 points. PAT: 1 or 2 points
28. A player scoring a touchdown must be able to legally detach her belt and show the IM supervisor.
29. Point After (PAT): Ball place at the anchor for 1 point or the red line between the anchor and the large blue line for 2 points. The team gets one chance to advance the ball for a PAT with either a run or pass.
30. Overtime (FOR PLAYOFFS ONLY): If the game ends in a tie, each team shall have one series of four downs to score from the large blue line. If successful, the PAT may then be attempted. If the game is still tied after the first extra set of downs, this ends the first overtime. A second set of extra down is then awarded to each team. This continues until there is a winner.