hope college > campus offices > residential life & housing      

Home <
Missions & Values <
Housing Policy <
Life Staff
Housing Applications <
Tour Our Facilities <
Off-Campus Housing <
Want to be an RA? <




Off Campus Living Hints

Off-Campus living requires the student to assume a great deal of responsibility. To assist students in this transition the Student Development Office tries to assist students in any way possible.

Tenant Rights
  • Housing is up to city Housing Codes
  • Privacy
  • Receipts
  • Complain to City Housing Inspector if landlord neglects repairs
  • Non-discrimination based on religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, handicap, or income source
Tenant Responsibilities
  • Pay all rent when it is due
  • Abide by the terms of the lease
  • Keeping unit clean, yard work done, and garbage in approved containers
  • Written notice to landlord when moving
Landlord Rights
  • Have the rent paid on time
  • Refuse to rent based on poor references or credit rating
  • Enter unit for repairs and periodic inspections
  • Written notices
Landlord Responsibilities
  • Keep the unit up to City Housing Code
  • Respect privacy of tenant
  • Follow legal process when renting or evicting a tenant
  • Give proper notices
  • Live up to the terms of the lease

Take the initiative to become acquainted with your neighbors. Establishing a positive relationship early can be very helpful if concerns arise in the neighborhood.

Check your unit for College-owned furnishings or trash containers. Public Safety or Maintenance will pick them up if you find anything that belongs to the College.

Become familiar with the laws of the City of Holland. You are responsible or knowing and abiding by them even if they are somewhat different than those in your hometown.

If you are having problems with a landlord, feel free to contact the Human Relations Office at Holland City Hall 355-1328

Insurance: We recommend that students purchase insurance for their belongings

Laundry facilities are available at area laundromats.

FOOD SERVICE: Students residing off campus may use the College Food Service

  • Purchase a Meal Plan to use at Cook, Kletz, or Phelps. (Once it is purchased, it must be kept for the entire semester)
  • Place money on your student ID to use at Cook, Kletz, or Phelps.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact Housing Office at 395-7943.