Borgeson Artist in Residence
The Department of Art and Art History at Hope College offers a residency for artists.
The twelve-week residency runs each summer from the third week of May through mid-August (May 15–August 15, 2017). Each summer, the department offers a number of courses, varying from art history, design, watercolor painting and photography.
- Housing stipend
- Private Studio
- Solo exhibition
- Public lecture
- Engage with current students and alumni through a series of three workshops
- 2016 Inaugural Borgeson Artist in Residence - Chris Cox
2012 BA Studio Art
2016 MFA in Photography, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- 2015 – Merit Scholarship, Cranbrook Academy of Art
- 2015 – awarded Photography Department Assistant position
- Summer 2015 – Chris interned at Small Editions, in Brooklyn; A small artist book publishing house and book bindery. He published two artist books since graduating from Hope: Spiritual Lake, 2012, edition of 50; and Beholder, 2014, edition of 150. Beholder was exhibited at New York Art Book Fair, 2014, MoMA PS1, New York and is for purchase through the International Center of Photography, New York.
- 2016 – Borgeson Artist in Residenc, Hope College.
All of this publishing, lots of exhibitions and collaborative projects were done through Gaspard, an artist group and gallery that he ran from 2012–2014. Gaspard operated out of storefront on Division Ave. in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Chris did a fair amount of commercial work, working with Herman Miller, doing photography assisting, digital asset archiving and styling for photoshoots and showrooms. Chris participated in variety of group shows, primarily in Grand Rapids, Chicago, and New York.
De Pree Art Center275 Columbia AvenueRoom 138Holland, MI 49423