When you register for the Celebration, you will need to indicate how you will present your research.
Most students use either a tri-fold poster board set on a table, or a flat poster — 24" x 36" or larger, up to 42" high by 48" wide — presented on a poster board.
Examples of poster sizes
- Flat Posters, templates
Flat posters 24" x 36" or larger, up to 42" high by 48" wide, presented on a poster board. Typically, two posters are pinned to each side of the board. These PowerPoint templates can serve as the basis of your poster presentation:
- Tri-fold Posters, templates
Tri-fold posters are sized 36" high x 48" wide, with the center section 24" wide and the side sections 12" wide to fit on a tri-fold board.
Tri-fold poster boards are available to pick up at Media Services Center, 2nd floor Van Wylen Library. Please use these tri-fold boards that the college provides, instead of purchasing your own. You can pick up the poster board when you pick up your printed poster. You may also use the large paper cutter there to cut your poster into the tri-fold sections before taping them on the tri-fold board. There is double-sided tape for your use at the Media Services Center.
- Checklist and information for making a great poster
Hope College faculty, staff and students can submit posters for printing to Campus Print and Mail Services for general, academic and research purposes. For research posters, select the Research Posters button on the New Orders menu.
Note: To use Print Services, you must be registered for an account. For more information on registering, go to the Print Services log in screen and follow the instructions for first-time users.
Print Services Submission Guideline for the Celebration
Due to the high volume of printing for the Celebration, Print Services needs 48–72 hours before set-up of the event to print your poster once you have submitted it. It would be best to submit your poster early, from March 14, to April 4. Be sure to submit your poster by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 8, to make sure it's printed for the event on Friday, April 15.
- Format: PowerPoint slides and pdfs are preferred
- Hours: Print Services is open 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pickup from Media Services on the 2nd floor in the Library is available during Library hours.
- Locations: 1st floor in DeWitt, 2nd floor in Van Wylen Library
- Payment: cash, credit, credit card.
Note: This year the Research Celebration will cover the cost of printing a poster for the April 15 event. In Step 6, Billing and Delivery, select "See billing instructions for Fund." In the box, Additional Billing Instructions, type "this poster is for the Research Celebration."
Tips for Preparing Your Poster
- Plan ahead! Please do not wait until the last minute to print your poster. During busy times, the turnaround time may be longer. For the Celebration of Undergraduate Research, you need to submit your poster for printing by Friday at 5 p.m. the week before the Celebration, to be sure it's printed in time.
- Do not place any text, graphics, etc. within 1/2" of the margin.
- Avoid overlapping text boxes and pictures.
- Avoid excessive clutter.
- Saturated color can be used in small sections, but avoid using it as a background or in large sections
- Image quality is important. Low-resolution images will appear pixilated or blurry when printed large on a large scale. For best results, scan images from books, use quality digital photos or speak with a reference librarian about high-quality image databases.